The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Stroker Kit Good and Bad......

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder20

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2003
OregonUS
Whats up all, hopefully you can help me. I have a 95 Talon TSi that I plan on rebuilding...I've been doing research on just replacing my engine with a built, from the bottom up, 1G. Today, however, I stumbled across an idea. A stroker kit. So my questions are as follows:

What is good about a stroker other than the extra displacement.

What is bad, other than the cost which I'm really not too worried about because I will begin gathering the parts that I need now and have this all done by the end of summer.

Any help that you guys can give me would be great. Just need to know pros and cons. Thanks a for the space and the replies....

A good thing i know about a stroker kit is that it increases displacement which equals torque. that is all i know for now.

This would be a good time do some research and searching on the forum. If I had a second gen I would take a serious look at a 7 bolt 4g64 as a cheap solution. I would rather have a 64 then a 63 with a 64 crank.

I considered this as well, for the day when I eventually crankwalk. A mechanic friend said to be aware because while you do improve torque, you may lose high RPMs because the longer stroke can't move that fast. That changes what you can do for supporting mods (like not putting in cams that give the most kick at high RPM).

All said, it's an interesting option, but it's a system and all the parts of the system need to work together well. Since it's not as popular as the "standard" system, one may be boldly going ...

Originally posted by jpolizo
A mechanic friend said to be aware because while you do improve torque, you may lose high RPMs because the longer stroke can't move that fast. That changes what you can do for supporting mods (like not putting in cams that give the most kick at high RPM).
While that may be the case in some domestic applications as long as it has proper air flow a 4g64 can make power to 8k just fine. The hard part is finding a turbo that can make the most out of that extra 400ccs :dsm:

If you want to go all out a T66 sized turbo and a big sheet metal intake manifold and all the other goodies should make all the power you could ever want or hope to support. However if you just want a nice driveable car a 64 will spool a 20g like it’s a stock turbo.

Stroker kits are a very fun upgrade to most motors. The real key is taking a systematic approach to building your motor. As was said before, a stroker kit with a stock turbo is going to have you boosting ALL the time. Here is a sample setup that I have seen at work and plan to push forward with in my 2G.

GReddy 18G Turbo Upgrade
Apexi FMIC
JUN 2.2L Stroker Kit
JUN Cams/springs/retainers
Supporting Fuel mods and the like of course

A lot of those pieces can be expensive but are well worth it. The 2.2 stroker kit is the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned enough guts to spin a 18G like its a T28 and the ability to stay out of boost when you want to. That car was tuned to run to 7500 RPM's. I didn't see a dyno sheet or anything like that so I am unsure as to power. The guy ordered the specific parts I mentioned from me.

18g? LoL 6k into a motor and you wont even be making 350 to the wheels.

*edit* and in a wwd car :rolleyes: Why would you want all that low end boost response in a car that is just going to spin the front wheels? If you were building a road race car and it was AWD then the turbo would still be wrong but at least I could understand it. You are going to have all this money into a car that wont ET worth anything.

Originally posted by mclaren55

Yes, those two are very well worth it. I mean they have to be, one is from Greddy and the other is from Apexi! :rolleyes:

i woudl disagree on the FMIC Apexi knows how to make endtanks which is something all FMICs from dsm vendors seem to be oblivious to..

the 18G is by far a huge waste of cash you could buy 3 16Gs or 2 20Gs and an external WG for that much

plus the greddy fmic sucks, not that you said that, but from what i have heard, larryd was heatsoaking his with just 23 psi, and that was in 30 deg weather, they may make good products but their larger intercooler for dsm's SUCK.

Originally posted by TalonRacer18
plus the greddy fmic sucks, not that you said that, but from what i have heard, larryd was heatsoaking his with just 23 psi, and that was in 30 deg weather, they may make good products but their larger intercooler for dsm's SUCK.

you will heat soak any IC while on dyno. it doesn't have 70MPH air passing through it. if you're lucky teh shop might have a huge fan that can put out 15MPH gust for it...

put ice in front of the intercooler, thats what i do...its easy on the stock one..but im sure you could get creative with a fmic like put it between it and the radiator

also

some people have to pass smog.....the greddy turbo setup will pass smog....in california if you upgrade your turbo your car will be impounded if the cop figures it out.

when it gets down to potentially losing your car for 30 days and paying 600$ for it and having to take everything off its worth the 18g...plus im sure you could send it to mike huml and have him toss a 20g wheel in there :)

not all DSMers have to worry about budget

Honestly I have driven 4 different DSM Setups:
Stock
Modded Stock (FMIC, UIC, BOV, Plugs/Wires, EBC, etc)
"Big" 16G with same as above
18G setup I described earlier

I feel the big 16G is the best out of all I have driven. However, here is why I would recommend the GReddy 18G setup:
1. SMOG LEGAL
2. SMOG LEGAL (Yes it means that much to us Californians)
3. Intake Pipe is SWEET
4. They look really nice installed and the GReddy badge is easily visible
5. They perform

Fact is that they put down a nice 280 ON THE STOCK FUEL SETUP. If you actually tune the GReddy kit you can produce just as much power as the "big" 16g if not more.

im not for strokers. sorry.

they make sense on big ass v8 engines without FI where all the power is down low, but on high-strung turbo motors (4g63) the power you gain from more displacement is somewhat negated by the 6000rpm redline.

more displacement = more power. more rpms = more power. longer stroke gives you the first, but not the latter.

Originally posted by greyforestgst
the power you gain from more displacement is somewhat negated by the 6000rpm redline.
:confused: Dont know where you got that one buddy. The redline on my 64 is well over 7500. The biggest problem with revingin relation to a 64 is going to be getting a big enough turbo to flow air that high in the rev range.

you can have high revs and bigger displacement, 7k is small compared to 12k rev. I keep hearing domestics running 11k and i saw one do 11k on a v6 motor. I don't even know what it was. it was old and it was a domestic.:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back