The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Stripped Crankshaft Bolt Hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99RedGs

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 28, 2007
Somewhere, Wisconsin
Well, this summer I changed my timing belt and when I was removing the crankshaft bolt I used a 5/8 extension for the puller to get leverage on. Apparently 5/8 is barely to large LOL and I FUBAR'd all of the threads. I had a mechanic run a tap down there to try and fix the threads, but they are to weak apparently and now my crank pulley is starting to come off and I can move the bolt by hand. My question is does anyone know what I should do to remedy this?

I figure there has to be some way to retap it so I can use a larger bolt and have new threads so it can actually grab. Does anyone have a size they could recommend? Also do you think this is something I can do pretty easily or should I just have a mechanic do it? I hope this question makes sense.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the bolt hole im talking about.

Thanks

I don't think it holds torque any more. I can turn the bolt as many times as I want and it doesn't get any tighter, but when I go to loosen it it grabs and won't loosen. So I think it needs to be re-threaded, but I wasn't sure it that was possible or what size I should re-thread it to.

you can get a helicoil kit comes with a tap and inserts i have used them especially to repair worn spark plugs holes but not sure if you will find a size to fit ## crank but if u do it sure will work,just try at the parts store

I was thinking the same thing... I'm 100% sure they make a helicoil that will work for you.

So you put a 5/8ths bolt into the metric hole in the crank?

No, I put a 5/8th EXTENSION. I knew I was supposed to use a 1/4, but for some reason I grabbed the 5/8 and didn't realize it until it was time to remove the extension and it was jammed.

Ill give that helicoil thing a try. Do you think I should go up a size from the bolt I have now or should I stay at the same size?

Thanks for the help guys. I got a bunch of things I need to fix, but most of the time when I post I get no responses.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back