1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

stock setup boost questions

Posted by Flip90gsx, Nov 14, 2011

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. Flip90gsx

Flip90gsx Probationary Member

Joined Mar 11, 2009
    Evansville, Indiana
    I put a used turbo with a little side to side shaft play on a couple weeks ago since the other was seized. I noticed that when I go wot the boost isn't very smooth so i'm sure I have a boost leak and am getting ready to head out and pick up supplies to build one. But what suprised me is that it is boosting to 12 psi and as far as I can tell it is stock. I bought it tore down with a snapped timing belt and the turbo was seized when I got it running so I'm not sure what it was boosting at when I bought it. What would cause this? It hasn't went over 12 psi yet so i'm not too worried about that as much as what could be causing it and potentially causing future damage. WGA spring worn out?

2. kanusky1990

kanusky1990 Proven Member

Joined Sep 14, 2011
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    is it a t25? thats pretty close to what the stock psi is.... 10-12 psi sounds fine to me...

3. xxNocturnalxx

xxNocturnalxx Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Tacomptan, Washington
    Most likely a boost leak related to the w/g. could be a bent w/g arm or spring issue like you said. 12psi. is nothing to worry about though a boost leak is. Start with a boost leak test then swap wastegates.

Street Build 3K  5

89 Mitsubishi Mirage
    11.746 @ 127.38 · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 2K  0

89 Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  4. Flip90gsx

Joined Mar 11, 2009
    Evansville, Indiana
    Sounds good. The 12 lbs doesn't bother me, just didn't want it to get worse and exceed the stock setup capabilities and cause further problems. The guy I bought the turbo off sent the wg w/ the turbo so I just went ahead and put that one on instead of putting mine on. Thanks for the input.

5. BurrowZ

BurrowZ Proven Member

Joined Nov 28, 2010
    Duluth, Minnesota
    His car says 90 GSX, which would be a 14b.

904  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.810 @ 101.120 · 2G DSM
  6. xxNocturnalxx

xxNocturnalxx Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Tacomptan, Washington
    Yes, so 8 would be your normal psi. So did the w/g swap work?

Street Build 3K  5

89 Mitsubishi Mirage
    11.746 @ 127.38 · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 2K  0

89 Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  7. Flip90gsx

Joined Mar 11, 2009
    Evansville, Indiana
    It's cold and been raining the last few days so I havn't done it. I'll probably leave it be since I'm throwing a new exhaust w/ a 2g manifold and external wastegate on within the next 2 months. Have some other issues driving me nuts that are taking priority for now.

Thanks for your input everyone.

8. potHead4sur

potHead4sur Proven Member

Joined Aug 27, 2011
    Laredo, Texas

273  0

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  9. Josh1001

Josh1001 Probationary Member

Joined Nov 15, 2011
    Mauk, Georgia
    Check for boost leaks.And make sure the wastegate is not stuck or jammed and it actually opens I have a 90 GSX and I would barely make boost turned out to be the wastegate was rusted shut.

10. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    Have you checked the valves yet? If not I would do a leakdown test. These motors are interference, so if it snapped a t-belt its a good chance it happened.

11. Flip90gsx

Joined Mar 11, 2009
    Evansville, Indiana
    I put a new head and timing belt on but screwed up the tensioner and it ended up jumping a tooth or two. Hope I didn't bend a couple valves. I don't have the stuff to do a leak down test but I can do a compression test. Another thing is that I can hear the turbo spool. Is that a normal thing on a stock setup?

12. 1badpurple

1badpurple Proven Member

Joined Jul 15, 2010
    lillian, Alabama
    If it jumped a couple of teeth then most likely you would have bent some valves. The only way to check on car is to do a leakdown test. Sometimes it can be noticed through a boost leak test as well.