The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunningInThe90s

Probationary Member
Jan 10, 2017
Vancouver, Washington
Alright before I delve in, lemme get some backstory.

I did some time in the can and my DSM (91 TSI AWD) sat for about 4 1/2 months.

Prior to that it ran just fine. But now it turns over and won't start. At one point I had to replace the ECU which blew a capacitor. My girlfriend believes its just the fuel going bad, soon I'll test that theory.

What gets me worried though, is that when we hook the battery back up, the headlights don't raise up, though the brights turn on, the running lights come on, and the blinkers work.

Also we kinda broke the ignition lock. My ex stole the key and I have no intention of contacting her without going through the courts. Does this car have antitheft? Looking around I haven't found much.

Unsure if the two problems are related.
I'll update when I get new gas.

Definitely get fresh fuel, also clean the injectors. I do believe 1G models were available with antitheft, but I'm not positive. Get a new battery, sometimes trying to jump start won't work like it should, but a new battery will. What part of the ignition lock is broken, can you post a picture of that?

My friend and I removed the ignition lock housing and got it to turn over with a screw driver. However, after I posted this I noticed that this car does have the relay and fuses for antitheft, so it's safe to say that it does have it.

I would post a picture, but for some reason my phone won't let me upload to this site. I followed the forum post on how to remove the ignition lock. However I feel that this triggered the antitheft, which is going to be a problem since I have no key.

I'm thinking of buying the ignition lock and key off someone who is parting out. The local chrysler and mitsubishi dealerships said they couldnt help me out, which is kinda how i got into this spot with the ignition.

Update: after changing the gas and cleaning the injectors, I began getting scared that maybe the ECU blew a capacitor like when i first got it. However. It appears that when my ex had my car she stole the ECU out aswell. So... Yeah. Crap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back