1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

1G Starting Issues.

Posted by RunningInThe90s, Aug 18, 2018

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. RunningInThe90s

RunningInThe90s Probationary Member

Joined Jan 10, 2017
    Vancouver, Washington
    Alright before I delve in, lemme get some backstory.

I did some time in the can and my DSM (91 TSI AWD) sat for about 4 1/2 months.

Prior to that it ran just fine. But now it turns over and won't start. At one point I had to replace the ECU which blew a capacitor. My girlfriend believes its just the fuel going bad, soon I'll test that theory.

What gets me worried though, is that when we hook the battery back up, the headlights don't raise up, though the brights turn on, the running lights come on, and the blinkers work.

Also we kinda broke the ignition lock. My ex stole the key and I have no intention of contacting her without going through the courts. Does this car have antitheft? Looking around I haven't found much.

Unsure if the two problems are related.
    I'll update when I get new gas.

Street Build 616  0

1990 Eagle Talon N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  2. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Definitely get fresh fuel, also clean the injectors. I do believe 1G models were available with antitheft, but I'm not positive. Get a new battery, sometimes trying to jump start won't work like it should, but a new battery will. What part of the ignition lock is broken, can you post a picture of that?

918  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  3. RunningInThe90s

Joined Jan 10, 2017
    Vancouver, Washington
    My friend and I removed the ignition lock housing and got it to turn over with a screw driver. However, after I posted this I noticed that this car does have the relay and fuses for antitheft, so it's safe to say that it does have it.

I would post a picture, but for some reason my phone won't let me upload to this site. I followed the forum post on how to remove the ignition lock. However I feel that this triggered the antitheft, which is going to be a problem since I have no key.

I'm thinking of buying the ignition lock and key off someone who is parting out. The local chrysler and mitsubishi dealerships said they couldnt help me out, which is kinda how i got into this spot with the ignition.

Street Build 616  0

1990 Eagle Talon N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  4. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Fountain, Colorado
    Yeah, that will be an issue then. Get a replacement from a part out, and it should set that problem straight.

918  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  3

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

1K  5

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    automatic · 2G DSM
  5. RunningInThe90s

Joined Jan 10, 2017
    Vancouver, Washington
    Update: after changing the gas and cleaning the injectors, I began getting scared that maybe the ECU blew a capacitor like when i first got it. However. It appears that when my ex had my car she stole the ECU out aswell. So... Yeah. Crap.

Street Build 616  0

1990 Eagle Talon N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  6. RunningInThe90s

Joined Jan 10, 2017
    Vancouver, Washington
    Also I'd post pictures with updates, but for some reason I can't via my phone.

Street Build 616  0

1990 Eagle Talon N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM