The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

'97 Talon TSI Issues?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gundyy

Probationary Member
Apr 3, 2010
Aurora, ON_Canada
I'm planning on buying a 97 talon tsi and the ad lists these problems... I'm in Ontario and the laws are very leniant. Could someone ball park the cost of these repairs for me? Or even a high or low...

-horn doesn't work (will need to be fixed to pass safety)
-power steering pump dying (should be cheap to replace the pump)
-turbo back exhaust = no cat (you'll have to figure out emissions, engine light on cause there's no plug for the o2 sensor)
-ac pump taken out but system never flushed

thanks!

Well for the horn. You can go to any part store and buy an aftermarket little horn button and wire it in. It will be a cheap replacement and it will pass inspections. I personally would figure out what is wrong with the stock horn but if you really wanna go cheap then this would work. Unless the horn itself is broken.

You can find another power steering pump at a junkyard. The pull-a-part here sells them for like $15.

For the exhaust. As long as the car has the plug for the 02 sensor still on the wiring harness you can probably just take it to a shop and have them weld in a o2 bung for around $30. Buy a new sensor put it in and plug it in.

For the a/c. I don't know what he means flushed. But if the pump was pulled then all the gas will be out of the lines. So the a/c doesn't require any attention. Unless you want it to work, then you will have to put it a new pump and freon.

I think that covers it.

Okay.
The ac I don't care for... Especially with power windows ;)
I can find out if the pump is broken or not... But I'm guessing it's an easy diy job.
The o2 bung is what? Something to house the sensor?
Thanks for the help... I'm still learnig this stuff :p

Yes. The bung is just a little rings that is welded onto the exhuast. They will drill a small hole in the pipe. Then weld a bung, which is like a little short pipe with threads in it, onto the pipe. Then you screw the sensor into the bung and it will go through the hole in the pipe.

Assuming that is all that it needs to fix the sensor.

Okay sweet. And if it's done by my mechanic it shouldn't be too much. If those turn out to be the only issues then would you consider nthis a good deal for $4500? going to try to get lower though... Maybe around 3 cash?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back