1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Starting engine without axles?

Posted by squid267, Apr 6, 2013

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. squid267

squid267 Proven Member

Joined Jan 14, 2012
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    Almost completed on my 6 bolt swap. Dropping the block and tranny in tonight. I was wondering if I could start it up without the axles connected as long as transmission is in neutral.

My driver side axle broke and the replacement doesnt come in til later this week but I'd like test and troubleshoot this engine sooner than later. Theoretcially it should work.

Thanks

2. blindboarder_02

blindboarder_02 Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2005
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Yes you can start the engine without the axles in place. Only need the axles if you want to give power to the wheels.

You're good to go

blindboarder_02

281  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  3. YZFR1

YZFR1 Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2010
    Atlanta, Georgia
    When starting the motor without axles or most of the oil in the transmission, even though it's in neutral, the transmission will still rotate! Depending on how much oil you have left in the transaxle, this might not be a great idea if you care for your transmission.

I did it the last time i put my motor together and even build a few psi of boost in neutral before i realized that the tranny was still spinning. No ill effects, but i did prob still have some oil left on the synchro's and it did give me a couple sleepless nights just thinking about it.

If you just recently drained your tranny and think it still has some oil residue, you could prob try to see if you could start the motor but i thought you should be aware of this.

YZFR1

619  0

1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  4. AUTOMODSGST

AUTOMODSGST Proven Member

Joined Mar 20, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, California
    do it just leave the inner cups/cv of the axles in the transmission or even the broken axle in the tranny fill it up and start your engine as long you don't need to move it you are good

291  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    · 1G DSM
  5. blindboarder_02

blindboarder_02 Proven Member

Joined Oct 8, 2005
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Run to the hardware store and pick up some plastic retainer cups. Usually in the plumbing department. Measure the holes on the trans and pick these up -

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365259674.231792.jpg

Cut to fit if needed, clean plastic burs off and insert. Not that hard to do

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
    blindboarder_02

281  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    · 2G DSM
  6. Crash429

Crash429 Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2013
    Rimersburg, Pennsylvania
    In neutral the main shaft in the tranny is still goin to spin your gonna have to keep the clutch pushed in to keep from anything in the tranny turning, but just to start it up to see if it runs you should be fine just just leavin it in neutral for all the longer it goin to be runnin, it's not like your drivin it around Beatin the #### outta it