The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Starting engine without axles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squid267

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 14, 2012
Worcester, Massachusetts
Almost completed on my 6 bolt swap. Dropping the block and tranny in tonight. I was wondering if I could start it up without the axles connected as long as transmission is in neutral.

My driver side axle broke and the replacement doesnt come in til later this week but I'd like test and troubleshoot this engine sooner than later. Theoretcially it should work.

Thanks

When starting the motor without axles or most of the oil in the transmission, even though it's in neutral, the transmission will still rotate! Depending on how much oil you have left in the transaxle, this might not be a great idea if you care for your transmission.

I did it the last time i put my motor together and even build a few psi of boost in neutral before i realized that the tranny was still spinning. No ill effects, but i did prob still have some oil left on the synchro's and it did give me a couple sleepless nights just thinking about it.

If you just recently drained your tranny and think it still has some oil residue, you could prob try to see if you could start the motor but i thought you should be aware of this.

do it just leave the inner cups/cv of the axles in the transmission or even the broken axle in the tranny fill it up and start your engine as long you don't need to move it you are good

Run to the hardware store and pick up some plastic retainer cups. Usually in the plumbing department. Measure the holes on the trans and pick these up -

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Cut to fit if needed, clean plastic burs off and insert. Not that hard to do

Last edited by a moderator:
In neutral the main shaft in the tranny is still goin to spin your gonna have to keep the clutch pushed in to keep from anything in the tranny turning, but just to start it up to see if it runs you should be fine just just leavin it in neutral for all the longer it goin to be runnin, it's not like your drivin it around Beatin the #### outta it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back