The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

stainless steel valves or stock????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnhieu

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2004
panama city, Florida
alright i got flamed for wanting 1mm over sized valves but the new question is should i still get stainless steel valves but stock size? what exactly do stainless steel valves do? all my valves in the head i got are in perfect condition but if stainless steel valves are gonna help get me to the 11s easier then i want them.

thanks tuners :thumb:

I was reading sbr's websight and they say that the stock valves like to come apart at higher boost levels because of their two piece design WTF. is this true? has anyone else had this problem? i was also thinking of just replacing the exhaust side and not the intake side with 1mm over sized valves (seen some others do it in some pics of their head). is their any advantage to this set up?

thanks tuners

SS has a higher heat threshold. Most aftermarket valves are undercut on the stems by the base of the valve, this helps with flow. Evo 8 exhuast vavles are sodium filled to help with cooling. Getting a 5 angle valve job will help flow. If your planing on reving the piss out of it I'd replace the valves. Ferrera SS 1mm oversized are only $220 so no big loss.

I'm having THESE installed in my head. Excellent price and the guy has perfect feedback. My valves were unbent and from a running engine of 91,000 miles. I figure things wear so why not replace them.

gixrman said:
SS has a higher heat threshold. Most aftermarket valves are undercut on the stems by the base of the valve, this helps with flow. Evo 8 exhuast vavles are sodium filled to help with cooling. Getting a 5 angle valve job will help flow. If your planing on reving the piss out of it I'd replace the valves. Ferrera SS 1mm oversized are only $220 so no big loss.

i plan on getting a 3 angle valve job. i just got flamed for wanting 1mm over sized valves because they are not really useful till you hit 10s (supposivley). anyways do valves go bad? i thought the only way they went bad was when they hit pistons, is this true? slowboy offers their valves witth the option of being nitrated coated, what exactly does this help with?

thanks and keep the replys comming!

Mike1992 said:
I'm having THESE installed in my head. Excellent price and the guy has perfect feedback. My valves were unbent and from a running engine of 91,000 miles. I figure things wear so why not replace them.

thanks for the idea mike tell me how these valves work out for you. with ebay the way it is today im always on my toes about buying something from anyone.

dnhieu said:
i plan on getting a 3 angle valve job. i just got flamed for wanting 1mm over sized valves because they are not really useful till you hit 10s (supposivley). anyways do valves go bad? i thought the only way they went bad was when they hit pistons, is this true? slowboy offers their valves witth the option of being nitrated coated, what exactly does this help with?

thanks and keep the replys comming!

Well that all depends on what you want and what your running.
Is this going to be a street car, track? Are you racing for $$, well then that extra 5hp (relativly speakin) may make a difference it may not. The coating helps reduce friction.

the ultimate goal is a low 11 second car. i guess its cool slow boy offers the coating on the stainless steel valves for free then. :thumb:

there doesn't really come a sane point where you need stainless valves. There have been plenty of high-hp motors that are running stock valves. I don't know what slowboy was thinking, but the stock ones are definitely Not two-piece. I don't know what he meant by 'two piece', but each valve in any engine are made from a single piece of stock.

Like someone else said, the stainless have a higher heat threshold, so they will take more abuse.

defrag010 said:
there doesn't really come a sane point where you need stainless valves. There have been plenty of high-hp motors that are running stock valves. I don't know what slowboy was thinking, but the stock ones are definitely Not two-piece. I don't know what he meant by 'two piece', but each valve in any engine are made from a single piece of stock.

Like someone else said, the stainless have a higher heat threshold, so they will take more abuse.

thanks for all the info guys i really appreciate it

Also stainless will take more abuse when they come in contact with the piston. Stainless will bend where stock will break off and beat the crap out of everything in the cylinder.

How about... 2mm OS valves!!!

OoOoOo

Attachments

• valves1.JPG
    valves1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 535
Unless you go through the trouble of properly plunging out the area underneath the seat (which takes A LOT MORE porting time), then stuffing oversize valves in a head is a waste of money and is just adding additional weight to the valvetrain.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back