The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

splitting the 5v on megasquirt

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kongo

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2009
new orleans, Louisiana
Does anyone know how many times I can split the 5v signal from megasuirt? I triing to send power for the tps/crank sensor and the fuel gauge( hopefully Im reading this right).

If your trying to send power to those sensors you can use a 12v to 5v converter from radioshck part# 276-1770 model#7805 cost is $1.59.

Does anyone know how many times I can split the 5v signal from megasuirt? I triing to send power for the tps/crank sensor and the fuel gauge( hopefully Im reading this right).

Most sensors don't draw very much power. You can use the +5V TPS Vref wire for at least the TPS, crankshaft angle sensor, camshaft position sensor (if used), and vehicle speed sensor. I wouldn't connect it to much else, because if there's enough current draw, you will compromise the accuracy of the voltage reference. I also wouldn't connect it to the fuel gauge assembly, that should have its own power source independent of the stock PCM and your Megasquirt ECU.

If your trying to send power to those sensors you can use a 12v to 5v converter from radioshck part# 276-1770 model#7805 cost is $1.59.

The LM7805's work well, but they need to be properly filtered in order to create a clean voltage reference signal. The voltage regulator inside Megasquirt ECU's is a low dropout (LDO) voltage version of the LM7805, but they also employ about half a dozen capacitors, a few inductors and MOV's to protect against voltage and current transients. Any abnormalities in the voltage reference will manifest themselves as skewed readings from your sensors. Besides, the voltage regulator inside the ECU is sufficient for powering most every sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back