The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

spider owners please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasteclispe

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 12, 2004
queens, New_York
hi i saw a 1997 eclipse spider gs-t for sale with nice low miles. right now i have a 97 eclipse rs hatch. and im thinking about selling my car and buying the spider. but i have a few questions. i live in nyc so it gets cold in the winter. i wanted to know if the spider will keep me warm in the winter. and also someone told me that when it rains water gets in..i just wanted to know if this is true....ty

well before i moved out to SoCAL i used to live in NJ. If you havent noticed all cars get cold in the winter :p All you have to do is turn on your heater. As for the leaking i guess its on a case by case. Because i have heard some people leak tons of water but mine is only a few drops when i wash my car. If that is a problem to you just get new weather stripping.

its worth it...but believe u probably will encounter sum leaking issues...sumtimes its just a matter of what angle the water is coming in..also..the car is far less rigid then the hatchback...ESPECIALLY when lowered and with rims...just take good care of it...ive have ahd mine for 2 summers and 1 winter....for this winter my car will be in the garage when parked or outside with a cover (that also has to do with sumone tryin to steal it 5 days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

the tops are prone to leaking... and the weatherstripping is very expensive to replace. I heard 'vettes have the same issue.. In my opinion its worth it for the hair-dryer option, but keep in mind owning a convertible is a large commitment in extra cost and mantainence. If you want one, go for it but be prepared for stuff to not be perfect.

The heaters on these things rock and they get hot enough for any weather.. I like to have the top down and the windows up w/ the heat on even in winter if its a nice, but cool day. In my humble opinion, the 97-99 gs-t Spyder is the sexiest DSM they made :thumb:

Some cars leak, some don't.

I don't get any drafts or anything in the winter. Keeps me nice an warm. :thumb:

DSMSpyder99 said:
well before i moved out to SoCAL i used to live in NJ. If you havent noticed all cars get cold in the winter :p All you have to do is turn on your heater. As for the leaking i guess its on a case by case. Because i have heard some people leak tons of water but mine is only a few drops when i wash my car. If that is a problem to you just get new weather stripping.

Would tighening down the convertible hooks fix the leaking problem? (Noob question)Where would you find weather stipping and how would you install it in the car?

Just take the car you wanna buy to a car wash before you buy it ;) or get a garage ? :confused:

i've had my spyder for 3 years. and i am from NYC, it does get cold in the winter but the heater works wonders. you should be more concerned about the lack of rear view you'll have. the only reason why i brought that up is that, you'd always be wondering what car it was you just beat. you could hardly see sh*t through the rear view mirror when the top is up.

the top on mine leaked everytime it rained. and the solution was far cheaper than replacing the top. the dealer suggested on using a can of their water resistant spray. it's $60 a can, and one can can last you the whole year. i've been using that stuff for 3 years, works great. but i think i'll replace my top anyway. i hate that tan color top on my red car w/ CF hood and black wheels.

GOT 2RBO said:
i've had my spyder for 3 years. and i am from NYC, it does get cold in the winter but the heater works wonders. you should be more concerned about the lack of rear view you'll have. the only reason why i brought that up is that, you'd always be wondering what car it was you just beat. you could hardly see sh*t through the rear view mirror when the top is up.

the top on mine leaked everytime it rained. and the solution was far cheaper than replacing the top. the dealer suggested on using a can of their water resistant spray. it's $60 a can, and one can can last you the whole year. i've been using that stuff for 3 years, works great. but i think i'll replace my top anyway. i hate that tan color top on my red car w/ CF hood and black wheels.

What can is that and where could you get? Do I have to talk to "Satan"....ahem...my car dealership as well to find this can?

T_Eclipse said:
What can is that and where could you get? Do I have to talk to "Satan"....ahem...my car dealership as well to find this can?

mine was recommended by the dealership, they said that's what they try to use first. they do sell 'em and it costs $60 in my neck of the woods i don't know how much it is in your hood. i'll get back on this thread when i get the exact name of this product.

I love my spyder. All the wanna be ricers around here think that there too heavy and slow, but thats b4 they see all big booty and spyder at the end of the track.

T_Eclipse said:
Would tighening down the convertible hooks fix the leaking problem? (Noob question)Where would you find weather stipping and how would you install it in the car?

Tightening the latches will not make any difference. The latches are there to just hold the roof down...that wouldnt make any difference. Now replacing the weather stipping would help...($215 from SATAN)

Replacing the whole top fixed my leak. Recently, I replaced the ENTIRE outer skin of my spyder top, what a PITA! OMG I don't recommend anyone change out their top themselves. Take it to an upholstery shop, or maybe a sailboat canvas shop, or even the dealership. But if you must, I can give you some advice and do's/dont's. Feel free to ask any questions if you want to change it yourself...my first bit of advice: "DON'T DO IT!" :D

If I were to do it where would I find the weather stripping at and if I was feeling tenacious could you give the do's and don't about changing the stipping.

T_Eclipse said:
If I were to do it where would I find the weather stripping at and if I was feeling tenacious could you give the do's and don't about changing the stipping.

yes me too ple... :) .

the only place I know of that has the weatherstipping is the dealership (SATAN). It is actually 3 separate pieces that go around the windshield...top piece and 2 sides. $215 was my best price.

the weather strip shouldn't be that difficult to change.

now the top, wwoahhh, hope you have some free time??! to change out the top, you need to remove the whole roof from the car (rack and all) , set it on the ground, remove some stitching, staples. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Geezus_Aach
the only place I know of that has the weatherstipping is the dealership (SATAN). It is actually 3 separate pieces that go around the windshield...top piece and 2 sides. $215 was my best price.

wait a sec so what about about the rear windows? whats that? thats where my spyder is leaking and lookin into what i should do? how is the weatherstripping actually attached? Maybe its just loose? is it just screws? or is there some type of glue that it could be seeping through? i dont think my weather stripping looks that mad maybe its just parting from the car? anyone know???

Your rear window is incorporated into the top. you need a new one to fix it (new top taht is)

hes probably talking about the rear side windows...

those can be bought at the dealership too...4 plastic pop rivets hold those in. i used silicone weatherstrip adhesive when reinstalling mine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back