The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Spec Stage 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Th3DooM

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 5, 2011
Dresden, Europe
I have the chance to get a never used Spec Stage 3 clutch including a lightweight flywheel for about 150$ from a friend. Atm my car is nearly stock (only header). I don't race my car but plan to turbo it soon. Would the Spec Stage 3 be a good replacement for oem? I don't want to change the clutch after 20k miles again.

I also read in a lot of 7 y/o threads about how great the Spec clutches are. Do you know if the quality is still good? People never update their experiences or reviews.

I run the spec stage 3+ unsprung with spec lightweight flywheel. I love the setup it feels good and holds the power, ran all my 12 passes on it. Stage 3 on a stock n/a is way over kill, but if your planning to upgrade then it might be worth it. I paid around $600 for my setup so $150 is a steal bro. I will add one thing I had a problem with my disc at first when it was a spring hub. The housings for the springs failed and one spring popped out almost all the way. Even being out of warranty and them saying it wasn't the disc but my car. They still warranties the disc and upgraded me to a unsprung disc. So far it's been amazing no complaints at all and all that happen about a year ago. Anyway hope that helps you bro. :)

Its way over kill. Thats a great deal so you might want to pick it up but I wouldnt put it in until you need to upgrade.

Is there an unsprung disc for the 420A available or necessary? It's a modular kit So I guess it will be a pita to change it. I read on another forum that someones housing for the springs failed. This guy called Spec and he got an unsprung disc as well.

I have a sprung 6 puck from the same manufacturer. Haven't had a problem with it yet and it holds pretty hard. If you use it with a light flywheel (like a Fidenza), they make an awful racket if not under load. I guess since the orientation of the springs is to cushion driveline shock when dumping the clutch, they just make it chatter horribly when the disk is pushed on the other way. I am very careful to not let the clutch drag like that. I would rather beat the crap out of the springs in the disk than the gears in the gearbox... The main thing I have heard of being a possible cause of those type failures is allowing the clutch to drag engine braking.

Is there an unsprung disc for the 420A available or necessary? It's a modular kit So I guess it will be a pita to change it. I read on another forum that someones housing for the springs failed. This guy called Spec and he got an unsprung disc as well.

I thought Europe got N/A 4G63s instead of the 420As? But either way, overkill it is.

I am one guy of a small european group who owns an imported 420A-powered Eclipse. My friend made the mistake to order a "non turbo" clutch in the states not knowing the non turbo in the US is equipped with a 420A-Engine. Good for me. Nobody will buy his clutch except for me. I got a brand new DC-Sports ceramic coated header for 100 bucks on the same way haha

I didn't know I shouldn't use the engine brake when I use a clutch like that. Is it normal for a "race clutch" like the Stage 3 or does the chatter reflects the cheap quality of Spec? I'd like to have a nice and quiet drivetrain...

I forget another 2 questions:

1) Should I balance the clutch first?

2) Do you recommend an oem TOB or the TOB included ?

Sorry for so many questions and my bad english! But you are the only community I can trust :)

2) Do you recommend an oem TOB or the TOB included ?

It is never a bad idea to go with OEM over anything else. Aftermarket TOB's are hit or miss. Some people never have a problem, some have them fail very quickly. So it's best to use OEM to eliminate any possible issues.

I bought a Spec Stage 3 6 disc for my 420a build and was wondering did anyone notice that the presure plate teeth or spindles, whatever you call them, are not formed like the OEM plate. So now it feels as if the clutch doesn't engage unitl at the very end of the pedal push.

I always heard that the pedal feeling is like a stock clutch. my stock clutch doesn't engage until I hit 70% of the pedal way :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back