The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Spark Plug Question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackflag

Probationary Member
Oct 11, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Ok, this is a dumb question, and I know this is a dumb question. I've done everything there is to do on a car, and this isn't the first time I've held a wrench, but...

I have a 2G Eclipse, and I'm trying to change the spark plugs. I haven't done it before on this car (but have on other DSM's). 13/16 doesn't fit the spark plug that's in there. It feels like it's going into the tube, but not fitting around the hex. It's just bottoming out and won't go any further down.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here? Is it possible someone put in a spark plug that's 21mm, or something like that? Anybody encountered something like this? I've searched, but haven't found this problem.

Yes, deep well.

I know they're not all 13/16, but everything I've ever encountered has been 5/8,18mm, or 13/16, I believe... I've never seen anything bigger. Is 21mm the size of a DSM spark plug?

No, that's 20.6mm. If not 21mm, then any idea what size it would be that's bigger than 13/16? That's the question I'm asking.

I doubt you can get anything bigger than 21mm. Some spare plug wrench outer diameters are too big. Try a different 13/16

Ive tried two different 13/16 spark plug sockets...so this one is really stumping me.

It could be that its not going into the lower tube and i dont realize it. Has anybody had a problem with the diameter of the socket?

Ive literally used these same sockets on a 1g DSM.

Push down harder? Ive seen the rubber boots in a spark plug socket fit very tight. Seems like youre on the plug but youre not.

It's definitely not the rubber - it's definitely bottoming metal on metal. It's clinking on the bottom when I push down, like I'm hitting a hex that's too big. Or possibly hitting on the spark plug tube, if my socket is too big.

Their only 2 sizes 5/8 and 13/16 or 18mm and 21mm (20.6) have u tryed looking down the head with a light to se if anything down there? I just pulled mine and they were 13/16

Stupid thing, but have you looked down in the hole and checked if the crimp connector for the spark plug wire stuck to the spark plug and pulled off? This happened on a camry a few weeks ago and for a few minutes I was like huh, why is the socket not going over this one plug.

13/16 here too, pulled em today.

Mysrery solved - somebody put the wrong plug in. It had a 5/8 hex. Told you was a dumb question.

4G63T. Was there another option?

Last edited:
Yes, the sites all say 13/16. This was some really tiny plug that didn't belong there. It was so small, the rubber didn't even touch the ceramic of the plug, it just spun - that's what threw me off.

Interesting. That thing is pretty tiny, at least compared to what I replaced it with. Thanks for the help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back