The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Slow Start/Cranking?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LxiMax

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2011
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
This has been an issue since I bought my car, and now I'm thinking everything may be linked via an electrical issue. The car is slow to start, as in it cranks slowly. Call it weak even if you want. It normally cranks three times and fires right up, but then comes down to a loopy idle, which is just a tiny miss. On warm starts, it's still weak, but cranks twice and starts. So I'm assuming the starter it on the way out, and maybe even the alternator. Reason I'm also saying the alternator is b/c when at idle, the lights will dim a bit when it misses. Any thoughts? Some side info, all new fluids, filters, plugs, wires, etc. Even have thought about the car being a tid bit out of time, the FPR going out, the fuel pump, etc...

Have you checked the voltage of the battery? The starter pulls the most amperage of anything on your car. A weak cell in the battery can cause this. It seems a good battery is hard to come by these days from parts stores.....a lot of them are junk from the beginning it seems. You need to get a good quality one. Seems every season I replace at least one in my cars... and usually under warranty, doesnt cost anything but headaches because they are junk.

The battery was new when I bought the car ( month and a half ago ). That's something I can check out though. It's an Interstate, need I say more?

check for loose connections on the grounds, check all ground cables and clean them if needed, i got problems in the past with bad connections.

Because a battery is new does not mean it is good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back