The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Sloppy shifts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acelr8dConcious

Probationary Member
Mar 24, 2007
Grants Pass, Oregon
I've searched and haven't found an answer to my question.

I have a 1990 galant gsx and the shifter feels terrible. I've put bg syncromesh in the tranny, adjusted and tightened up the linkage. I'm wondering what else I can do to make the shifter mechanism feel better. Anyone know if I can use eclipse shifter bushings or short shifter? If so what year eclipse?

Thanks guys

Underhood bushings - replace with skateboard bearings

In-car shifter BASE bushings- symbroski shift kit or something along those lines

Short throw would help even more after those things.

yup, jongreene is right. i had the same problem with my 92 tsi and found some underhood bushings on ebay for like $12 (they were probably just skateboard bearings, but hey i didnt know any better) and replaced my tranny oil with full synthetic. Shifter felt awesome after that. I'm lookin to go buy the shifter base bushings and see if it feels even better after that.

The "terrible feeling" I was talking about is just a loose shifter. It has lots of slop in it. I know dsm trannys aren't the smoothest in the world, I had a 93 laser, but this one just has an extra loose feeling.

Thanks jongreene, I'll get some underhood bushings:thumb: . Didn't think of that one.

Anyone know if you can replace the bushings on the ends of the cables that attatch to the shifter?

Thanks guys!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back