1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

show me your 2g front upper strut bar!

Posted by theycallmebruce, Apr 19, 2004

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support VR-Speed Factory
  1. theycallmebruce

theycallmebruce Proven Member

Joined Dec 5, 2003
    Flushing, New York
    I installed the OBX Type-GX for the front yesterday and I'm not happy with it. Brackets are poorly made and bend easily. Installing/adjusting it was a whore. Is this the case with most front strut bars? Can't "twist" to adjust the bar (like the rear) to get enough tension pushing the strut towers outwards.

Anyway, I'm looking for alternatives/recommendations. Please post pics of the bar you use, name of bar and price.

Thanks in advance.

2. my95tsi

my95tsi Proven Member

Joined Dec 6, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    i reccomend www.roadraceengineering.com they make a greta strut basr for $99 that is actually functional and not cheap ebay crap. I'm planning on getting one soon.

410  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. GPTourer

GPTourer Proven Member

Joined Aug 29, 2002
    Birmingham, Alabama

Attached Files:

867  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. EvuLFleA

EvuLFleA DSMtuners N/T Wiseman

Joined Aug 20, 2002
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I have a Neuspeed bar that goes along the firewall. Can't find a pic though.

284  0

1998 Eagle Talon N/T
    · 2G DSM
  5. DGajre777

DGajre777 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    Orlando, Florida

Drag Race Build 2K  1

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 13, 2004
    North Bay Area, California

what exactly about the ebay cheapies make them "non-functional"?
    excluding our obx above that is seemingly non-adjustable.

2K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  7. wongster

wongster Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2005
    Toronto,

yea mine cost 15 bucks shipped on ebay 4 yrs ago.. and so far it is handling great.

8. Sbeing1

Sbeing1 Proven Member

Joined Mar 22, 2005
    Palm Beach, Florida
    Heres mine...
    [​IMG]

Its a Road Race Engineering one, have it on the rear too.

9. steel_3d

steel_3d Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2003
    LA, California
  10. RedTurboEclipse

RedTurboEclipse Proven Member

Joined Jul 29, 2002
    Bay Area, California
    There was a thread on here a while back saying how those "adjustable" strut bars do no good, something a long the lines of flexing; and the proper ones are the one piece solid design with no place to adjust and what not. Sort of like sway bars. From what I know the only ones that are like that are the discontinued neuspeed, and the DC sports.

2K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  11. SonySlave

SonySlave Proven Member

Joined Jun 24, 2004
    Pasadena, Maryland
    Here's my Stillen front bar... Bolts in really nicely and is extremely soild, but you can see the black mark where the bar hits the hood right near the oil cap and timing cover... I can't tell if it's causing any problems or not... :confused:

Attached Files:

Drag Race Build 5K  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.731 @ 140.17 · 1G DSM
  12. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    That's a painful, roller-coaster of a sentence.

First, the bar would only be under tension if it is pulling the towers inwards. Pushing out on the towers would put the bar in compression.

Second, you want the bar to hold the towers in, so you want it under tension. The purpose of the bar is to keep the outside wheel from gaining positive camber in a turn from the top of the tower bending outwards.

So, you have the correct physics term -- i.e., tension -- but it sure sounds like you are installing the bar in such a way to make it cause problems instead of help.

- Jtoby

13. DSMunknown

DSMunknown Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2004
    Worcester, Massachusetts

so are you suggesting that a custom shop-made strut bar without proper know-how would not be beneficial? it would seem that a custom shop-made bar that not only attaches to the two towers but also to the firewall would be "more" beneficial than the usual two-point strut bars.

with such a custom-made bar, one could request a certain type of material used, the thickness of the tubing, the amount of hollowness of the bar, the number of bends in the tubing, the angle of the bends, etc...

14. olmytsi

olmytsi Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    Do they do anything? I have one sitting here brand new that i got for free but i am reluctant to put it on because it just gets in the way when wrenching. I will only put it on if several people can confirm a noticeable difference in handling. If not, it's up for sale. :)

15. DGajre777

DGajre777 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    The APR one that I have is not adjustable. The bar bolts on to the ends with bolts.

From everything that I have read, I always thought that the front bar pull the towers in (pulled inwards) and the rear bar should be pushed out/outwards to keep the rear wheels as flat as possible during cornering.

Are you saying that if the bar is adjustable both the front and rear should be installed the hold the towers in?? :confused:

Drag Race Build 2K  1

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  16. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Both the front and rear should be under tension, because, in both cases, they are supposed to keep the upper end of the outside suspension from pulling outwards. The assumption behind STBs is that the lower arms of the suspension are sufficiently braced, so the lower end of the outside will not push in. This is actually true for the rear of a 2G AWD, because that great, honking subframe is quite solid. It is not true in the front, which is why a lower front stress bar is equally important. (RRE makes the only OTS lower front bar that I know of and I like it a lot.)

- Jtoby

ps. DSMunknown: I don't "suggest" things; I say them bluntly and usually explain why. There are plenty of threads about triangulated STBs which is where I have commented on such.

DGajre777 likes this.
  17. blk 2gnt

blk 2gnt Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2003
    Long Valley, New Jersey
    Mine...runs up along the firewall and connects on the bolts(one on each side) directly to the rear of the strut tower bolts

1.jpg

18. Zex4g63

Zex4g63 Proven Member

Joined Apr 8, 2003
    Montoursville, Pennsylvania
    what brand is that?

773  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  19. RamenPride

RamenPride Proven Member

Joined Aug 18, 2002
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    looks like a Neuspeed, which they stopped making a few years ago

2K  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  20. blk 2gnt

blk 2gnt Proven Member

Joined Mar 31, 2003
    Long Valley, New Jersey
    Yup, it is. I should've said that when I posted the pic...sorry about that

21. SpooledGSX98

SpooledGSX98 Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always looks good when it flows with the color scheme of the car...

357  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  22. DGajre777

DGajre777 DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 16, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Interesting. So to have a good setup, one would need front and rear upper strut bars and a lower front bar. :thumb:

Drag Race Build 2K  1

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  23. jtmcinder

jtmcinder DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 4, 2003
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Bingo. But to complete the thought, stay away from lower rear bars for 2G AWDs. They are totally worthless for anything other than ballast, same as any brace with a curve or a piece that goes up and down or front to back.

- Jtoby

24. Sbeing1

Sbeing1 Proven Member

Joined Mar 22, 2005
    Palm Beach, Florida
    My RRE isnt adjustable in front, just in back, its one SOLID pipe in the front

25. steel_3d

steel_3d Proven Member

Joined Jul 3, 2003
    LA, California
    Why is the lower rear bar useless on 2g awd? But not on fwd?