The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Should I use lowering springs or coilovers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Alright so I know I'm just beating a dead horse with this question, but I am wondering if I should use lowering springs or switch to coilovers. Now first my car 114k on the body and stock suspension components (I plan on rebuilding the suspension when I can afford). I do not plan on tracking this car at all however, this will not be a daily driver either. I want something comfortable and yet something that handles better in the bends when I want to do some spirited driving. I have a 1997 gst and I can get a tien lowering spring kit for 250. If I do purchase coilovers I would like to stay under 1k which would probably lead to megan racing coilovers. Thanks for your thoughts!!

Depends on how long you plan on keeping the car and what your end build goal is. Street? Drag? Autox? Road Race or a mix. If it's in your budget, it's hard to beat Feal 441 coils for our platform at it's price point and customer support.

A lot of coilovers for our cars are crap. A spring and Koni combination is better than 80% of them.

I’ve had Gab on my 2g for about 7 years and D2 on my current 1g, never had any issues. Why do you say coil overs are crap for dsm’s? What brands are you referring to?

Having no issues doesn't mean they are good. Any coilover less than $1000 are junk. Most notable would be K sports and Megans. A lot of coilovers don't come with spherical top mounts and use cheap shocks/struts with poor valving.

Having no issues doesn't mean they are good. Any coilover less than $1000 are junk. Most notable would be K sports and Megans. A lot of coilovers don't come with spherical top mounts and use cheap shocks/struts with poor valving.

From what I’ve read, k sport is hit or miss and majority are satisfied with Megan. You can’t expect a $300 set of coil overs to perform the same way as a $1000 set. There’s r&d and quality that comes with the price tags. If a product works as it should without issues, how is it still junk. Spherical mount is obviously a must.

My 1g came with adjustable kyb and eibach pro kit. Although they were decent for street and drag, D2’s that are on now are way better with more adjustability. They cost me $900 so I guess they’re junk in your eyes unless you’ve actually ran all these different coil overs.

I don't have experience with Megan coilovers on a DSM but I've driven quite a few Hondas with them and I have honestly never experienced a worse suspension. The stock suspension was better than those coilovers, and every single one of those drivers replaced the Megans within a few months. All but one went back to stock and the last one I think went BC?

I'm ready to do suspension on mine and there were two general recommendations for the low end of coilovers. One was Feal and the other I think was BC? I started researching the Swift spring upgrades and then kind of forgot about it all.

From what I’ve read, k sport is hit or miss and majority are satisfied with Megan. You can’t expect a $300 set of coil overs to perform the same way as a $1000 set. There’s r&d and quality that comes with the price tags. If a product works as it should without issues, how is it still junk. Spherical mount is obviously a must.

My 1g came with adjustable kyb and eibach pro kit. Although they were decent for street and drag, D2’s that are on now are way better with more adjustability. They cost me $900 so I guess they’re junk in your eyes unless you’ve actually ran all these different coil overs.

If you are looking to just lower your car than the cheap coilovers are fine. But if you want a decent ride and good handling then most of them are a waste of money=junk. Spending $500 to have your head hit the roof on every bump and then have oil leaking out of them after 2 years isn't recommended.

As for DC coilovers I haven't had any experience with them yet. But I've heard the new stuff is well built. I'm not alone on my opinions of cheap coilovers for these cars. Lack of suspension travel, poor alignment setup, and a flimsy chassis make it hard to get these things to ride and handle well. Especially 2gs.

Last edited:
Basically this all comes down to you get what you pay for. A coilover is simply a damper with the spring around to outside. Some coilovers are fixed & other are adjustable in ride height and or preload. Some dampers are also adjustable in compression and or rebound, or both (cheap damper usually only compression). All DSM's technically come from the factory with coilovers BTW. McPherson struts (or struts) are also technically coilovers but struts are part of structural suspension design & were adapted for cheaper assembly line car manufacturing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back