The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

shifting issues, need a suggestion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspekter7

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2004
St. Louis, Missouri
Okay, I have searched through to see about anyone having my issue, I have seen similar but am unsure if the precise problem, with that said, the DSM n00b's going to open up the floor for some suggestions.

I recently picked up a 91 Eclipse FWD Turbo for $900, the car is an auto, good condition body wise and 113k miles, I didn't drive it too much the first few weeks because I had to go out of town for business. Now, I was out driving today and after a spirited 30 minutes of driving I started seeing what worked and didn't work on the car, I put on the cruise control to see how it did on the highway, and the car jumped up to 8k, down to 5k then back up to 8k and just revved and revved, I was losing speed though, I tapped the brake and turned off the cruise control, and the car hasn't been the same since. It was acting kind of funny before this though, not wanting to shift from the initial gear until I was over 4k (either being on the gas hard or normal driving). I am not familiar with automatics having never owned one, and this is also my first DSM. I did a bit of research and followed a few tips and tricks, I had the transmission flushed and refilled, the fluid looked like it could have used it, but that didn't really help either. So, my question is, could this be an issue with the torque converter, or actual transmission, or do these cars have any sort of vacuum issues, just looking for suggestions.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for the long winded post.

try using a scantool, or have your trans codes pulled. That should tell you if you have a problem like mine...clutch damper cylinoid(TQ cylinoid), causing spikes in rpms, and what feels like slipping, poor shifts and such. Also 1,2, and 3rd gear out of synch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back