The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

safc wont turn on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackhawk2k7

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 12, 2008
Stanwood, Washington
i have a 1990 tsi, and i purchased the original S-AFC from an ebay source. i wired it up down to an exact replica of the VFAQ and plymouthlaser/safcinsall. but it wont even turn on, i even ran a completely dedicated hot wire with a fuse/switch to see if i could even get anything out of it. but nothing no blips no noises no anything, and i havent even used this before, its brand new (to me, bought used) im running a TMO chip, but that wouldnt explain it not even turning on at all, i have also taken the device apart to check for the loose connection, and ran splice-in connectors to double check if i was making any error, anyway anybody have any words of advice? and is there a reason it wont turn on? im getting power to at least the plug (i self tested it) and nothing after, im just asking before i fry this ass-much on ebay.

The original S-AFC and the S-AFC II have VFDs (Vacuum Fluorescent Displays). They are really crappy and suck in general... Really they do. Mine has the same problem. But do you have lights when you turn the car on? If the key pad lights up it is the screen. If not I'd say carefully open it and check to see if it came unplugged inside.

Best of luck!

thanks for the suggestion, i can hear almost audible machine innerworkings when i put it up to my ear, and when i took it apart, to check if any componants had come undone, everything there was pristine, now when i took it off i did notice that in one of the corners on the display had a scorch mark under the glass, this may be the problem, but also i dont get any lights on that bad boy when i go to ignition mode

Yup, if you look right in the corner on top left IIRC you'll see the black spot. It is about 1 centimeter round directly in the corner. Mine is the same way. The key pad lights only come on at night. There is a light sensor. So cover it up and check for lights. Or check it now if you get this soon.

But congrats, yours didn't come with the car. You can return yours hopefully.

I have the same problem except when i cover the sensor it wont come on. if i put my finger on the back of the the sensor on the board and put some pressure on it, it will come on for a few minutes then go back off. I have no idea how to keep it on. Any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back