The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

RX7 Wheels Really Worth It?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDSM4g63

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
San Jose, California
I recently bought 13.8 lbs. RX7 wheels for a ridiculously cheap price but know that I think of it, it is really worth it? I need spacers and to go through with the grinding process. Who knows how much each spacers weigh and how liable they are to take on the severe abuse?

Furthermore, I've been planning to go with a big brake kit and I want to know whether I should go with the heavy duty Baer and the light weight track TCE brakes.

I'd like some input on how light wheels contribute to handling and/or power.

Big brakes and 16" wheels don't usually mesh well, but hopefully TCE might have something that fits.
I'm about to buy tires and I thought the same thing, is it worth it to pick up some rx7 wheels too? I love the look (painted) and the size is nice 16x8 but the weight is fantastic! But money is too tight so I'll continue on with the stock granite GSX wheels.

I'm curious about the difference in driveability from the rx7 wheels, mainly. I'm not too worried about 5mm spacers. And 2g guys don't have to grind the rear trailing arm.

Less rotating mass nets you a more efficient powertrain, all the way down to wheels and tires. Lighter wheels and tires will demand less of your springs and shocks, and will result in quicker reactions at each corner as there is less mass to push/pull. Your braking distances should decrease by going to lighter wheels as well.

And as an aside, and an example of a more efficient powertrain, a member of a local board did some conservative estimates based on trap speeds and a wheel/tire swap, and for each 1lb dropped a net gain of 1.3hp was seen. His example used a 14lb loss in weight per wheel, and a corresponding rise of 22hp, based on traps.

yes rx7 wheels are worth it, i have some and i love it. I do need to buy wheel spacers ### i am going to be running 245s drag radials for all four

Lighter wheels help reduce unsprung weight. The general idea is to keep both the sprung and unsprung weight low; this helps, so that the suspension doesn't have to work as hard. Lighter wheels are also benificial, being both easier to accelerate and brake. I also believe that a lighter wheel will lower the moment of inertia(MOI).

I actually traded a friend my stock 2g wheel for a set of lighter, 16x7" wheels off of his FD RX-7. I'm currently using them, until I get a set of tires for my Wedsports.

what size spacers do you use? I have a 1997tsi awd and want to know. thanks

5mm or larger but it all depends on the tires you use.

Okay, going to RX7 wheels seems to be pretty good, however first thing first, I need to get spacer. Should get the Mr. Gasket's for $40 or the B&R for $200+?

Sorry, i have no idea what size those are. I got the wheels with spacers off my friend who had a 95 awd so i just bolted them up. They are really thin tho and look it to be your cheap off the shelf spacers with multiple lug patterns (universal).

I use my RX7 for daily driving. If you get a 225/50 you only need a 5mm spacer. The quality/brand of spacer is up to you. I got $10 ones at a local tuning shop. If you get 245/45 10mm spacers would be required and along with longer studs and new lug nuts.

I run the 225/50 combo so I'm guessing i have ~5 mm spacers.

How much grinding did you have to do at the rear for the 1g? 1/8 in. is equivalent to a little over 3mm and that's hard anything.

Youd have to grind off quite a bit, but my control arms were welded also for rear active toe elimination.

Let me add though I actually dont even have spacers on the rears right now, I used to but I recently have found that the inside of my front tires have been getting eaten up a little on full lock turns from being too close. I didnt want to try to grind out any of the strut towers so I doubled up the 1/8th spacers on the front, and Im going to have to get two more ( 1/4inch) on the back so they match the front.

These wheels are great but watch them. Our heavier cars will cause these wheels to crack between the spokes and the hub. It has happened on a few cars.

They made a newer stronger, revised version of these wheels.
Mines have been on my car for around 3 yrs no issues.
I am considerably lighter than stock though, but good headsup....

They made a newer stronger, revised version of these wheels.
Mines have been on my car for around 3 yrs no issues.
I am considerably lighter than stock though, but good headsup....

How do you know which ones are the revised versions? Also, what year range of RX-7s are these coming from?

What I want to know about wheels.

Say I have
40lbs 18" wheels
vs
16lbs 16" wheels.

A bigger wheel with go further with the same RPM's correct?
And a lighter wheel will be eaiser to turn.

For Straigt lines / AutoX what is better.

Smaller light or bigger bigger :]a

Say I have
40lbs 18" wheels
vs
16lbs 16" wheels.

Smaller diameter and lighter I imagine.

Say I have
40lbs 18" wheels
vs
16lbs 16" wheels.

wheel speed does not depend on the rim's diameter -- it depends on tire circumference and your tire selection.

A ligher wheel is ALWAYS better. Heck, you are talking about a 24# difference at each corner, and 100# of unsprung rotating mass difference is huge.

But what needs to be considered is how much heavier a fatty 16" tire will weigh compared to a 45 profile 17" or whatever the cool kids run.
All that unsprung weight loss sounds amazing, but has anyone calculated a total before and after with tires? I'm just thinking a lot of the weightloss is offset by heavier rubber.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back