The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Running with very low voltage

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KB90TSIAWD

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2011
Desoto, Missouri
Ive done a lot of searching on tuners and google through other other forums and am finding a lot of unanswered threads

So..

I have a 1990 talon awd. I put two heads on it not realizing the bearings were toast. I rebuilt the motor and installed which Ive done before.

I stole the alt off this car and put on another one and bought a 75 amp alt. Purchased a new battery from sitting over a year and it still needed to be started with a jump. I let the car run for a while and as soon my fans kicked on it freaked out. My temp gauge went to all the way hot (link still said 180 and it died.

It starts now but after a few cranks. The voltage drops to about 6 and will sit at 10.8-11.1 when it runs but if any accessories are on it drops. Ive wired in a few new things which ive unplugged everything and still have the same result. I warrentied the battery and alt and got a the 90 amp alt too and still the same. Ive replaced the alt fuse just because. My alt wire has the same volts as the battery and show 14 when running. If I turn on my light my interior buzzes trying to stay on. It seems like something isnt grounded or powered correctly.

Im at a loss and almost put this car up for sale. Im ready to hand it to a shop and have them finish it. My patience is running out..

Thanks in advance

kris

The voltage regulator on the 1g dsm is in the alternator actually, and with the heat in the area, they get cooked all the time. I have had to replace muliple alternators and especially from autozone. Have you gotten the alternator tested with multiple runs to see if it passes at napa,autozne etc ?

Yea heat always killed mine. I went through Autozone alts every three weeks. Where did you buy yours from? I would check your alt fuse, I know you said "floating" so it looks like it has charge. And check the igniter wire on the clip to the alt. Sometimes it works itself loose.

actually got it fixed yesterday. turned out to be the fn ground on the back of the intake. Im not the type of person to half way put things on its either off or on LOL. but its running great. Thanks for the quick replys tho guys

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back