The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Rotors scarred to hell...tons of noise....WTF!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMKevan

20+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2004
Clarkston, Michigan
Ok, after making a wrong turn onto a gravel road I noticed some extra schreeching and grinding in the brakes (usually just squeaks a liiiitle). As I got off the gravel road and started braking hard to see what it was like I noticed a HEAVY grinding, that I could hear and feel in the pedal. Pulled over checked it out, and I saw some scarring, but only on the upper diameter of the circle.

Now its been getting worse and worse, and the scarring has continued to cover the entire surface of the rotor OMG . I thought it would be bad pads, but really, would it scar it this bad? I ran my finger along the surface of the rotor and I can feel "ridges" in it from the deep scarring. What the hell could this be? I know the rotor is screwed, but what caused this.

Pics:

Attachments

• GOOD SIDE.jpg
    GOOD SIDE.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 302
  • BAD SIDE.jpg
    BAD SIDE.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 310
I would take off the wheel and actually examine it with the wheel off, when i first got my car it had the pads worn down and screeched like that, i replaced them only to find out the pistons in the rear brake would not realease, so your calipers could have took a crap on you like mine did. 100 bucks a side plus new pads and rotors and i was good to go.

HAhahahhaha it was my pads the whole goddamn time.... Here are pics of the carnage! Looks like Im making a trip to autozone today for some new pads. Could I still use that rotor? OMG

Attachments

• brakes-6.jpg
    brakes-6.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 328
  • brakes-9.jpg
    brakes-9.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 307
  • brakes-7.jpg
    brakes-7.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 307
I doubt they are within there servicable limit and they are cheap, maybe 50.00 bucks for the pair. Just replace them and you will have new pads and rotors and best of all piece of mind.

You can try to get them resurfaced, but there's a limit to how much material you can take off of them before you run the risk of cracking them. But like what boostedinaz said, they're probably done for and you should start shopping for new rotors.

BTW, don't brake pads have a wear indicator or something that makes the brakes squeal when they're at the end of their life? :talon:

Yeah they do have an indicator...but only on one pad. Lucky me the pad that wore down first was the one without the indicator... :cry:

I got some $10 pads from autozone to use until my uncle gets back, then we can start rotor and pad shopping. I think he has a connection with brembo brakes, so hopefully I can get some of those cheap :cool:

One more question, how do you adhere the metal shims to the pads? They arent staying on my new pads very well. :mad:

If you are looking for new rotors...i just installed my POWERSLOT slotted rotors last night at my dads house with raybestos brake pads. i got the rotors for 148 dollars shipped from summitracing.com. it only took 3 days for delivery. i got the pads for like 35 bucks at kragen's. very simple install and great results so far :dsm: . make sure to break them in right.

DSMKevan said:
Yeah they do have an indicator...but only on one pad. Lucky me the pad that wore down first was the one without the indicator... :cry:

I got some $10 pads from autozone to use until my uncle gets back, then we can start rotor and pad shopping. I think he has a connection with brembo brakes, so hopefully I can get some of those cheap :cool:

One more question, how do you adhere the metal shims to the pads? They arent staying on my new pads very well. :mad:

You're supposed to use anti-squeal stuff, but screw that, it's a waste. The shims should have tabs on them, so just bend those a little bit down so they're at an angle. The one with 3 tabs will usually not fall off, but the other one likes to fall off. So first, push your caliper piston back. Get the pads with the shims on the caliper mount, and slip the caliper over. You shouldn't have a problem and I never had the shims fall off after I put them on the mount. Also, if they're a pain, then just don't install the shims. My one brake pad doesn't have one, because the old one simply didn't have one. Being the cheap guy that I am, and not wanting to take another 25 minute drive to the dealer, I just put it on. I've had no problem with it, but you can see how the piston digs into the pads coating on the back.

Yeah I figured it out and just got back from bedding my brakes via this method. I thought, why not bed them properly, it might help "fill in" some of the scarring. Results are great braking! (well, stockish, but better than before). I might get some new rotors soon along with some axis ultimate or metalmaster pads. That should be kickass :D

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

They grayed up pretty well too (which is good!)

Dude I had the same problem last Week!!! and thats how exactly my brake pads were...It wore the whole Pad down and was just grinding on the plate..!! Such an annoying sound but yeah its all good now.

(Don't let the secret out, but discs -yes, even those worn down to the steel vs. iron like that- never need to be turned. But it's an easy $40 for the shop monkey to work on.)

Defiant said:
(Don't let the secret out, but discs -yes, even those worn down to the steel vs. iron like that- never need to be turned. But it's an easy $40 for the shop monkey to work on.)

What about turning a disc to correct excessive run-out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back