The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Roll Stop - OEM upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODDUWON

Probationary Member
Sep 29, 2018
NORWALK, California
So I was trying to find a new roll stop for my 1G FWD 5MT. The Anchor roll stop that should fit my car turned out to be for an AT, or non-turbo car (they dont make the original style for FWD turbo MT anymore). The one that came off my car had a beefier insert, like the AWD cars do.
FWD part number was 8103 for anchor, EM-8103 for duralast and Westar.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can see the difference here in this Diagram of the engine mounts. The cavity space for MT FWD should be filled in with some bumps, like the AWD.

Since I didn't want to my car to shake hard at stop lights, I decided not to use poly mounts, or to do the window weld mod.
Instead, I wanted to get the beefier insert that came with my car stock, but they dont make it anymore. I saw that DEA had an insert that they no longer make, so i got the idea to press out an AWD insert and press it into a fwd housing.

look how cheap this Westar mount is next to a real Anchor brand mount.

here is where my original roll stop cracked. Many years ago I tried to replace it, but all i could find were cheap ones back then too, so I just bolted it back in and used it for another 40,000 miles.

I made this special tool from an old threaded pipe wall mount bracket. I used my bench grinder to shape it a 1/32 or so smaller that the insert. Had to use a spacer in the insert rubber to align the center hole so that I could line it up with the special tool.

Use a hammer to center the tool while starting it on the press. It poped about every 1/4 inch as I pressed it. You can see in the pic above the rings it left as it broke free each time. I used a large socket to press on the tool. I had a slightly too small pipe to catch the insert. It got stuck and I had to use the 2 "Vs" in the lower plates after I got it started to press the insert out the rest of the way. Somehow if fit perfectly.

I used the bench grinder to relieve the back side of the tool to accomodate the shape of the beefier insert. It tapers thicker toward the center bushing. Didn't want to press the rubber, making it come lose from the insert.

left to right
original roll stop, FWD "Anchor" roll stop from rockauto, AWD "anchor" roll stop insert pressed into rockauto FWD housing.

the OG and the AWD insert even have the same "3 bar A" symbol on them.
OG

AWD

Has anyone else tried this Before? Everything looks like it should line up right. I haven't installed it yet to confirm. Let me know what you think.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back