The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Right Fuel Rail?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitecl96

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2012
McMinnville, Tennessee
I have had this car for a little over a year now. I got most the problems fixed with it. I looked at my fuel rail a long time ago and I am just now working on the engine problems.
My fuel rail only has one line running to it and the other line that runs out the fuel rail is blocked off with a bolt. The other side of the rail is something that has a place where a vacuum line would hook up to, but I have no idea what would hook up there.

Is this not the right fuel rail for my car? What is not hooked up right. I know I have a improper fuel air mixture could this be the problem?

Attachments

• 2012-03-01 14.10.37.jpg
    2012-03-01 14.10.37.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 2012-03-01 14.11.18.jpg
    2012-03-01 14.11.18.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2012-03-01 14.11.33.jpg
    2012-03-01 14.11.33.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 97
I need to look at mine when i get home... that bottom is hooked up properly to the fuel line, the top that is blocked off looks weird as all hell.

I've never seen a N/T fuel rail, but I'll go out on a limb here and say no, that's not right. Using a bolt to block a hose is never right......

The other line coming out of the rail needs to go the the fuel pressure regulator. That would definitely cause your purported A/F ratio problems....the regulator isn't working.

Than why do I have another line coming out the fuel rail. Is that the wrong fuel rail. And what about the other side of the fuel rail.

95 and early 96 420a's had a return fuel line. 97+ didn't
if you don't have a return fuel line, that could be what's blocked off.

more than likely someone converted to a 97+ fuel system and kept the stock 95-96 rail. the 95-96 system had a return off the rail with the regulator there to... 97+ have a supply line w/o a return do to the regulator being at or near the tank. so only the correct fuel gets to the rail. i would either get the right rail for your setup or find the proper plug and cap it off. hope it helps

How can I tell if that is the case. I want to have the fuel all done right. I have an engine problem and I finally got a scanner and the code that I pulled was P118.

I posted a thread on this couple days ago and this is what I was told.

I looked under my car and I have a FPR right above my fuel filter near the tank. In addition, I pulled the newer fuel rail off of a 96 as well.

Pictures and everything

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/428410-quick-fuel-rail.html

Also, can someone with a 95 please see what that connects to?

That side goes back to the tank. Its used to alow unused fuel to be recycled and keep pressures in check. Unless you have the 95-96 fuel system it will have to stay blocked off. Other wise you will have to get a rail for the 97-99 w/o the return line. Sence the 97-99 has the regulator buy the tank you only suply the proper amount of fuel needed to the rail. Aposed to the earlyer were fuel pressure is constant to the rail and unused fuel gets rerouted back to the tank.

I posted a thread on this couple days ago and this is what I was told.

I looked under my car and I have a FPR right above my fuel filter near the tank. In addition, I pulled the newer fuel rail off of a 96 as well.

Pictures and everything

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420a-bolt-tech/428410-quick-fuel-rail.html

Also, can someone with a 95 please see what that connects to?

He said his fpr is by the tank. Meaning that its a 97+ year system. and he has a 95-96 rail. someone mostlikly swaped the rail with injectors for some reason. You would be suprised on some of the half a**ed stuff i run into at work on things kids think they know how to tune:hellyeah:

What are the chances that both our cars previous owners did that?

my car is a 96 (nov 95) and I have a 97+ fuel system (fpr by the tank) and a 95 rail. This means I have 2 FPR's and a capped off return line (exactly like the OP)

So you are saying that both the cars PO's swapped rails on our cars? or they both put in FPR's by the tank and capped off the return lines?

This makes no sense.

Yeah its all good, I know.

I am just confused, like should I make a return line to my tank and delete the FPR by the tank and use the one on the rail?

or

install the 97+ fuel rail and cap off the port on the manifold where the FRP line went?

Also is it bad to run 2 FPR's? like I said I have one on the rail and by the tank.

Personaly id throw on the 97+ rail stick with the fpr at the tank. NO dont run 2 fpr. they will conflict with each other. atleast with the 97+ system where the fpr is its easy to add fmu and aftermarket fpr and keep the engine bay clutter down. plus imo its the most reliable setup.. But if you are on a budget u can still use the 95-96 rail, but i recomend pulling the rail and bringing it to the proper parts store or shop and have the return line plugged.

Thanks for the advice.

This all started when I bought the car recently with a fuel leak. I later found out I had a 97 FPR system by the tank. In addition to a 95 rail (FPR on rail) and a capped off return system. I cannot find where to connect the return system so I will just swap the injectors over to the (June 96) rail I just bought. I will have no return line and only the FPR by the tank.

I have driven the car how it currently sits and it does still drive even with 2 FPRs.

I'll have to wait to look under my car all the crapy weather really sucks when you don't have a garage. But I'm sure it is just done half ass because all the work that was done on the car wasn't done right just half ass. Spray painted the motor with regular spray paint. Put three coil springs on and left the front passenger side stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back