The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Review of TRE race trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So last fall first time i got to go to the track after about 6 runs or so my 2nd gear synchro didn't like me anymore. From that point on i just couldn't bang 2nd for the life of me without it grinding. Just about anybody who's been into DSM's for a while knows who Team Rip is. I've wanted one of these transmissions for a few years. Since my last talon. Only thing that ever held me back was the price. 1850 for their base model race transmission. Add in some goodies and that price can sky rocket.

Well let me tell you what i got in mine. Take the base model trans and add in a galant vr-4 1st gear, double synchro 1st, 4 spider center differential and some evo shift forks. Basically everything he could do to a 90 transmission short of cryo treating it and a LSD up front.

Let me say i have NEVER been in a DSM that shifts better than mine does now. It's just a little notchy in between gears but you barely notice and frankly it keeps getting better every day. It's so much fun to drive my car again. It made a world of difference in just day to day driving. TRE's reputation is well deserved. Only problem is you might have to wait awhile to get your transmission rebuilt. It took a little over a month from when I shipped it out to when i got it back. Also it can be kind of difficult to get ahold of Jon on the phone. But when you do he'll stay on the phone for an hour easy going over everything you want done and what he feels you do and don't need. I've heard the stories of him riping peoples heads off on the phone but he was quite pleasant with me everytime i spoke with him. One other thing, TRE was the only place that would let me trade in my second 90 transmission i had sitting around for a core. The tranny i picked up should have been 2450. After 2 300 dollar core charges i got that down to 1850 which is the price of a base model race trans.

I only have 600 miles on it right now and Jon said to put 3000 on before i really start to beat it but I am very impressed so far. Hell I was impressed in the first mile i drove it. If you can wait for the transmission i highly recommend looking into Team Rip. If speed is of the essence I would have to say look else where.

I'll post back again once i get this thing fully broken in and really get to test her out.

*Just a quick update. I switched over to BG Syncroshift at 600 miles. Jon said 500 but if i was alittle late it would be ok. This thing shifts even smoother than before. I still can't get over the shifting and it keeps getting better!

** Ok I'm a little impatient and i really wanted to see how all the new parts were going to do so i didn't quite make it to 3000 miles. Actually I'm at more like 1500 but anyways here's how the tranny is performing. This thing has no quarrels shifting at 7500 rpms. Not even a peep from it. I've never been able to shift fast enough to keep my turbo spooled on the stock tranny. Pretty bad seeing as how i ran an evo 16g with the stock tranny. I haven't tried speed shifting yet. I'm going to wait till i get the wire hooked up to my clutch pedal for my NLTS feature in my ecu before i try that but i really don't think it will be a problem. All and all I am VERY happy with my purchase. The car is just so much more fun to drive all around. One more thing i like, Being able to put it in first while I'm still moving. I just couldn't do that before. Of course thats what the double syncro's are for.

*** Ok last update. I now have along the lines of around 6-7k on the tranny. Still shifts so smoothly and still haven't had any complaints. I did finally get my clutch wire hooked up so there have been a few stutterbox launches and NLTS runs. I have absolutely no issue slamming 1st through 4th without ever taking my foot off the gas. It goes into gear every time without as much as a whimper. So I have to say that this trans was well worth the money i had to spend on it. It really has just made the car so much more pleasurable to drive. It acts like anything but your typical DSM 5spd trans.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back