The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] Where did this transmission come from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemsoccer

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2006
New Bern, North_Carolina
So I went to install my brand new axles in my 95 GSX build, and found that the passenger side axle would not go into the transmission. I tried a few things, and it would not go in. I got my calipers out and measured the transmission and the axle. What I found was that my axle was TOO big to fit in the transmission. I called the company I bought the axles from and they said that the ones I had matched the ones they had on the shelf. However, they had axles for the 2.4 liter motors that actually had dimensions that would fit.

So to my question. Why did this axle not fit in my transmission? I bought this transmission from a guy for my build. It is supposedly a shep stage 1 transmission. This I have not verified, but I can't see that they would have changed the input shafts. Not sure if this will help, but the only numbers/letters I can find on the transmission are KW5M332NPZT and SE5460. I called the dealership and they said they can't look this up. (Manual trans)

Ok, so now the driver side will not fit.

Flickr: jemsoccer13's Photostream

Those are pictures I took of the axles. Read the descriptions and let me know WTF is going on!

I have the same transmission model # it seems. My axles went right in. The only problem with mine is it has bad seals. So I had to yank it right back out so I can replace them. Your driver side axle looks like it's in fine. :dsm:

It also looks as if to get that arm back on; you're going to have to pop those lower ball joints out; align up the arm, bolt it in, then put the ball joints back in.

Well, I had some local DSMer's come over last night and they helped me figure out that these are straight up the wrong axles and will not fit. So I'm going to call the company I bought them from and see what else they have that may fit, even though they may be for a different vehicle.

The 1990- 1992 transmissions used smaller axles. Is the trans you got a 2G? Check with the company and see if they have the wrong center diff in it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back