The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

[RESOLVED] Sparkplug seal ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gstclipse69

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 30, 2006
Columbia, South_Carolina
So this weekend I have been replacing valve stem seals. I was using my compression tester to pressurize the chamber and I noticed that pressure was being leaked out through the spark plug well. I thread taped the air hose to compression fitting so the only thing left to leak through was the plug to head threads. I've never heard of sealing these threads so I thought I would ask. I searched and didnt find anything. I know this would probably be minute and I know the spark plug wire boot is over it but it was leaking pretty good. I had a lot more pressure in the cc than anyone would run with boost but it was leaking enough that the compressor wouldnt cut off. Just seeing if anyone had any input.

Yea I have the right fitting. It screws in all the way and I got it pretty snug. I'll have to try it again and pay more attention to exactly where its leaking however I'm pretty sure that it was from the spark plug well. Its hard to tell though when the compressor is on. Soapy water should do the trick, I didnt think of that. There was a lot of oil on the bottom of the head and I didnt notice anything contributing to a leak. Is there anywhere else it could be leaking from? I had to put about 100 psi in the cylinder to keep the valves up.

I had to put about 100 psi in the cylinder to keep the valves up.
Course, you could just roll the crank til the piston are all the way down and drop in rope through the plug hole then roll the crank to bring up the piston to compress the rope into the valves so they wouldn't drop.

If you have the belt off, then all valves would be closed at TDC and you can do the corresponding cylinders together with the rope trick.

^^Yea thats what I ended up doing. The compressed air only worked for few valves and then they still wouldnt stay up when I was trying to compress the spring. I had the timing belt off so i just turned the crank till the piston was at the top of its rotation and fed a little rope in. Worked like a charm :thumb:
The leaking air had to be coming either from the compression fitting or the end of my compressor line. I dont think anything is cracked. Got it all back together today and its pulling hard. And not smoking anymore!!LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back