The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Question about cylinder head.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1992awdlaser

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 5, 2004
Wallace, North_Carolina
Today I took off the exhaust manifold on my car to put on my sbr one. When I did this I noticed the exhaust port for cylinder number one was pretty black and the rest of the cylinders looked normal. What can this be? It kind of smelled like gas but the car hasn't ran for about two months so I don't think it is gas.I will try to post a picture in a bit. Thanks

Here is one picture.

Attachments

• me 001.jpg
    me 001.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 138
Two more.

Attachments

• me 002.jpg
    me 002.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 139
  • me 003.jpg
    me 003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 139
Is that cylinder moist? or just horribly carbon'd? If its just more carbon then the rest, Id say it'd be a week cylinder, the last time it was started, was it missing at all? maybe fowled a plug, and just pouring into the cylinder? check the head though. I wouldnt hook the turbo back up knowing that was comin out of the head. good luck...

Looks like that cylinder has a bad piston ring. When the ring goes out it allows oil to pass over the piston. Do a compression test to see if that cylinder is lower than all the others, If so then that is most likey the problem.

It didn't seem to be missing at all. One thing I did notice one thing one of the last times I had it running. I just let off the gas after beating on it and white smoke came out of the crack on the stock exhaust manifold. So I am guessing that it is oil coming from either the cylinder or through the valve guides and hitting the turbo then turning into smoke.

well that could be also, im up for a compression check, I think service limit is like 120psi, and good compression is like 160-175? dont quote me on that though

This thread is old but I figured I woul update it as resolved so somebody else can read it if they have the same question.

It was a combination of the 14b leaking oil and the valve seals leaking oil. It seemed like most came from the valve seals though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back