The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] Please help me identify these (photos)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mksk415

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2006
Woodbridge, Virginia
I recently had the engine in my 90 GST replaced with the engine from a 91 GSX.

These are definitely newbie questions. Can someone shed some light?

I found a couple of places where vaccum hoses should go, but I don't know where they should be connected on the other end.

First is the upper of the two fittings on the air intake. Where should the vacuum hose that goes on here by connected? :confused:

Second is something that I don't know what it is, but it's got a fitting for a vacuum hose. Where should the vacuum hose that goes here be connected? :confused:

Third is a vacuum hose that goes into the firewall on the driver's side but it's not connected to anything in the engine compartment. What should it be connected to? :confused:

Next is a wire with a plastic connector that also goes through the firewall but isn't connected to anything in the engine compartment. Here's what the connector looks like. I can't find the other connector that it should fit into. What should it be connected to and where is it in the engine compartment. :confused:

Thank you!

Attachments

• whatsthis7.jpg
    whatsthis7.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 218
  • whatsthis5.jpg
    whatsthis5.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 214
  • whatsthis4.jpg
    whatsthis4.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 199
  • whatsthis3.jpg
    whatsthis3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 198
That all looks like parts to your EVAP system. Do you have your charcoal cannister hooked up? I'm willing to bet that the line coming through the firewall is supposed to connect to the cannister and that solenoid thing, then the intake pipe.

If you're really worried about it, find it and hook it up. If you're not, just plug it all up with vacuum nipples. I'm running no emissions, evap, EGR, cat, or anything. My car runs (ran) fine like that.

Wow, I'm betting your runs like total shit. The best info I can offer you is to plug the hole in your intake pipe on the turbo with a bolt that fits snug covered with RTV, and delete all EGR vaccume lines and solenoids. The line comming from your firewall is something aftermarket. If its a vac. line its probably to a boost gauge.

Ok, Picture 1 the two lines (one not connected) one should go to the valve cover breather and the other to the smog charcol cannester (mounted under the battry box) If you are not running the smog cap it off being open to air it will screw up the MAS readings to the ECU (unmeatered air no good)

Pic.2 I think it's the purge control valve? Is there one more fitting coming off the side (not seen in the picture?)

Pic.3 That bigger line is the fuel feturn off the FPR. It should be connected to the regulator(gold thing on the end of the fuel rail.)

Pic.4 I have no Idea? Where is it in the engine bay/ Just a hand with a plug=no help

Excellent! Thanks.

Pic 1: I'm gonna fix it.
Pic 2: Three fittings but there are two lines connected now. Should I just cap off the one that's left?
Pic 3: It's not the line going to the fuel pressure regulator. It's the line coming straaight out in the picture. I think turbo90gsx is right. There was an aftermarket boost guage on the car when I bought it, but it got stolen. Then I had another engine put in. It's probably not conmnected to anything on the other side of the firewall. I'm going take the dash aprt and i'll look for it when I do.
Pic 4: The plug...I have no idea either. The wire goes through the firewall on the driver's side. It's long so it'll go a lot of places, but I can find no connector it fits into in the engine compartment. I have a feeling it might be a '90 connector and since my engine is '91, there's no place to plug it in.

With respect to turbo90gsx's comment about how my car runs, I would wouldn't put it that way. It runs pretty okay, but there is one big thing: When I come to a stop and and it idles, it takes about 20 seconds for the idle to stop fluctuating up and down. Is that a likely symptom of a vacuum leak like this?

#3 It should not matter. Try capping it and see if it makes any differance.

#4 The only thing I can think of on that side of a 90 they had a filter capisator. It is under the intake right beside the power transitor. ( it's a bugger to see and even more fun to get to) By the way did you stay with the 90 igniton ar switch over to the 91? If so it might not need it.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back