The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] multiple cylinder misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srtkiller

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2007
Mesa, Arizona
I am getting a multiple cylinder misfire code and I can't figure out what's going on. I replaced the plugs and wires also checked the coils it is getting a very strong spark to the wires. Also when I plugged it in the code reader it shows the timing was bouncing between 4 degrees and all the way up to 19 degrees. The idle is very rough and my wideband bounces from very rich to lean. I have also done a boost leak test. I really need some help I can't figure this out. Thanks

I do not have a cat on the car and th car has about 114,000 miles on it. Where is the ignition control module on these cars? Also if there was anything wrong with the cam sensor wouldn't it throw a check engine light specific to that part? The only code I'm getting is P0300 stating randon multiple cylinder misfire.

Do you have access to a scanner that can tell you what cylinders are misfiring?

Check your vacuumed lines, and more importantly check your o2 sensor. Which the way I know is just hooking it up to a logger and the numbers will look fudged. My car did that, and I found out it was the front o2 sensor. Replaced it and bingo.

My plugs are gapped at .28. It is not telling me what cyliner it is just saying that it is random multiple cylinder misfire. My pressure regulator is reading 43psi with vacuum 38psi without. All of my vacuum lines are good no leaks and no boost leaks. Would a fuel filter cause a misfire like this also is possible it could be my injectors and is there a way to test them? Also I do not have a logger.

What brand scanner do you have? Your fuel pressure should be 43psi with the vaccum line disconnected, but this won't cause your problem. Yes you can test the injectors. Put a screwdriver against one with your ear to the handle and have somebody crank the car. If it clicks move on to the next one. Or if your scanner is like mine then you can run a test where it says koeo (key on engine off) and then you hit ok. Then it will fire each injector by itself to test them. If one is bad it will tell you. Or you could start the car. Then remove the connector from one injector. If the car runs the same when you do that then that injector is bad or the wiring going to it is bad.

To answer your question where the ignition control module is, it depends on your intake. I have a cyclone intake on my car and it is located on the back of the upper half of my intake. The other spot is bolted directly under the coil straight up and down. It has a large plug on it that is about 1.5. to 2 inches long. The coil plug is right above the ignition control module as well.

The data logger is the plx r-300 it doesn't log anything that I would need for this problem. I am using a Scan Tool the high end ones they have at Autozone. It's like the one they use to do the free engine light test but this one does live streaming data but doesn't record anything. Also I just went to go look at the car and the timing belt looked loose so I went to go lookat it and when I pressed on it the belt had some slack but when it moved it turned the intake cam a little with it. Thanks for the responses so far.

Yeah, the scanner you have doesn't do what I was talking about. Just either do the screwdriver trick or the one where you unplug a connector. If all the injectors are good and the plugs and wires are good then do a compression test.

Since you mentioned the timing belt being loose..I have heard that if one of your intake exhaust cams are off 1 tooth it will cause your multiple cyclinder misfire CEL.

Why not. Anyway, if you gapped your plugs @ 0.28 pull then and recheck and regap them again. If the problem consists, you probably mixed up your plug wires. If I am correct, I believe from the Coilpack it runs 1-3-4-2? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do not have a 6 bolt. Also my plug wires on are correctly. I thought that the coil is 4-1-2-3.

Is it possible to use an ecu off of a 98' gsx to plug in to make sure I'm not having a problem with mine. Also there is a sensor on the fire wall just behind the intake manifold with two vacuum lines and a two prong harness that is ticking in the worst way. I unplugged it and nothing changed. I have pics of it if you need I can post them a little later.

There are extensive threads on this, few for people running the 7bolt and many for those with a 6bolt swap.

Do you have a 6bolt swap?

Hey CB. It's nice to see you are still reading the P0300 threads. I guess you're still trying to resolve your misfire too. :)

To the OP: I have the same problem, working on a solution but nothing yet. If I come up with something I'll post back (to like a dozen different threads).

The only person who had a definite answer to this problem was a guy claiming it was a bad MAS.

Thread is located here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/problem-diagnosis/233241-p0300-cel-multiple-misfire-detected.html

If it is a bad MAS then I will let you know soon as I am ordering a replacement. I have a P1400 code (bad MDP) and the P0300 always comes on after the P1400. (Just some extra info).

Do you have different MAS you can swap in to check?

Good luck,

Tom

I replaced the MDP sensor and it stopped pulling that code, but it did not fix the problem. I am trying to find a maf to use but I was thinking of just doing a maf translater anyway. I will also post when this problem is fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back