The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

[RESOLVED] how do i do the COP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlacasse1

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 6, 2009
Scott AFB, Illinois
ok i have searched the forums like crazy and i stil cant figure it out ### so many people have put out different diagrams and instructions and i have no clue which ones go with what cars. so here is my question.

me and my brother are putting a COP setup on a 1990 tsi. does any one have a do-it-yourself wiring diagram on how to do this and possibly to include the tach. we picked up all the coils for $14 at our local junkyard and we tried to wire them according to a diagram we found in the forums. does anyone have a good one that works for them.

ok i have searched the forums like crazy and i stil cant figure it out ### so many people have put out different diagrams and instructions and i have no clue which ones go with what cars. so here is my question.

me and my brother are putting a COP setup on a 1990 tsi. does any one have a do-it-yourself wiring diagram on how to do this and possibly to include the tach. we picked up all the coils for $14 at our local junkyard and we tried to wire them according to a diagram we found in the forums. does anyone have a good one that works for them.

If you havent already removed the factory pigtail from the OEM coils just study how its wired. And then compare it to the firing order. Instead of having 2 cylinders on an Isolated coil your running 4 individuals. There are different firing orders for a few years so be careful. I think your making this harder than what it is.

Kolby

ok the diagram in this link.....

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...g/282664-how-build-coil-plug-setup-cheap.html

does not work on my car.

i see how it would hook up and had the basic idea before finding the link its just i dont wanna fry something in the car.

anyway, i found another link that will include the tach wire so hopefully it will work.

butj my brothers gonna have to wire it as i am in New Jersey right now for training since im in the Air Force.

all well, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

The firing orders are different on some cars. Your correct Just look at the diagram compared to the firing order and you should be set. Just swap the wires to correspond with your firing order. You should fry anything. Its Either right or wrong if its wrong the car simply wont start because its firing incorectly

Trial and Error. Remember Edison failed 1000+ times before he invented the light bulb.
Somebody at one point had the same issue when testing the COP method.

Have faith DSMer
Kolby

You will basically replace the stock coil packs with a pair of coil-on-plug coils wired in series with each other. Leave all other components connected-you are just changing to a different coil.

well hopefully we'll get it figured out.

i understand that two of the cylinders are in a series and that the other two are in there own series.

i was just nervous ### we just put in a new computer and i didn't want to burn it up.

but thanks for not being negative:thumb:

The only difference on the '90 is the use of the Tach Adapter. That is why you have 4 pins in your connector and the '91+ has only 3. The fourth pin is the tach adapter wire. You'll pretty much wire it the same but you'll have to piggy back off of the coils for the tach adapter's red and white wires. Then the output wire of the adapter (yellow) will get wired up to that 4th pin. I believe everything else is the same.

alrighty then.
we found another way to wire it and the car runs great. sure beats the two cylinders it was running on

thanks for the help

yes i will post it as soon as i find the diagram again. i printed it out without saving it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back