The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Replacing head gasket, what else while I'm in there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinscho

Proven Member
Jun 16, 2017
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Head gasket started to leak recently (getting coolant in the combustion chamber). I went ahead and ordered a master gasket kit for the top half of the motor (head gasket, vcg, valve seals, intake and exhaust, egr, throttle body, and quite a few more) and a set of head studs. Also going to use this as an opportunity to replace the timing belt and water pump.

While I have the head off replacing all of that, what else should I address to make sure I'm not pulling the top half of the motor apart anytime soon?

I'm not looking to push any extra performance, just want a nice reliable daily driver at the end of this.

This is all on a 4G64 by the way..

Looks like a good list to me but I'm sure someone has something else....pcv valve, intake and exhaust studs and nuts are about the only extras I see u don't have listed

I appreciate the feedback. I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible on this one. PCV is fairly new, and prior to putting the car on the road I had the exhaust manifold off to clean it up (car sat for 2 years prior to my purchase) and the studs on that end were still in good shape. I'll definitely take a peek at the intake studs While I have it off.

Let me telI you what I've learned: The list tends to get ongoing, especially if you're OCD like me. I think MAYBE my thread will help you. Keep in mind though, my car sat for a few years so you don't need to do as much as I have been planning.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/head-removal-whats-all-needed.511809/

I read through your thread and I'm starting to feel a bit more confident that I'm on the right track. Don't think I'll have any issues with getting it to the machine shop, as I caught my head gasket issue immediately and there was never any overheating.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know. I appreciate all of the input!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back