The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

recirculated external wastegate o2 housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ITSME4G63

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 6, 2004
chicago, Illinois
Does anyone know where I could find a recircluated external wastegate o2 housing for a decent price? Im talking about an o2 housing which can house a 38mm tial wastegate and still be able to recirculate it into the exhauast instead ofdumpign it. Some vendors wants a ridiculous price of 300+$ just for an o2 housing which dumps the wastegate fumes. Thanks. :talon:

I know a lot of manufacturers make O2 housings that let you mount a real external wastegate on them, but I don't know of any housings that route that back into the O2 housing. You'd be better off going with something like this
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

and then getting an exhaust shop to route the dump tube into your downpipe.

Another thing is that you would still be using the internal wastegate passage on the turbo, which is the real cause of the creep, unless you properly port it. The bigger wastegate will help, but if you don't bother porting the passage and its entrance, you'd be a lot better off going with a full external setup.

ITSME4G63 said:
Does anyone know where I could find a recircluated external wastegate o2 housing for a decent price? Im talking about an o2 housing which can house a 38mm tial wastegate and still be able to recirculate it into the exhauast instead ofdumpign it. Some vendors wants a ridiculous price of 300+$ just for an o2 housing which dumps the wastegate fumes. Thanks. :talon:

Victory performance. check them out at extremepsi (the vendor) or they are linked in the DSMtuners parts guide.

I believe they are the only ones that offer a full solution for external wastegate back into the o2 housing.

drivemusicnow said:
Victory performance. check them out at extremepsi (the vendor) or they are linked in the DSMtuners parts guide.

I believe they are the only ones that offer a full solution for external wastegate back into the o2 housing.

wow, thanks, I checked them out, at 380$ for an o2 housing, Ill pass.

try www.122performance.com . Their website is being updated right now but you can still email them for a price. I was looking at them awhile back before i went with an external off the manifold. They used to sell alot on ebay and if i recall correctly the o2 housing you want was under 300. But don't quote me on that.

lasertim said:
For top notch quality and workmanship see www.straightlinespecialties.com

Here is what you are asking about. It is obviously a work of art.

yes it is a work of art, and I almost masturbated to it, but for 120$ more than 122 performance, it makes you think what does it have that makes it 120$ worth more. Thanks alot guys.:talon:

Edit: I do notice that the flanges are thicker on slp one.

The SLS is stainless steel, the 122 one is not SS, but has high temp paint on it. 122 had on their website that they prefer HKS wastegates, the SLS one is flanged for a Tail type 38mm wastegate. When you buy it from 122, you have to send them your wastegate and they'll make the o2 housing for you. Since they are both 2 1/2" I don't see how one could out perform another. The additional cost for SLS is because it is made out of SS.

DGajre777 said:
The SLP is stainless steel, the 122 one is not SS, but has high temp paint on it. 122 had on their website that they prefer HKS wastegates, the SLP one is flanged for a Tail type 38mm wastegate. When you buy it from 122, you have to send them your wastegate and they'll make the o2 housing for you.

Ps. This information is based on their old website that is no longer up.

I know nothing about 122 but I know that the SLS guys are great to deal with. They are local and active on the local DSM board and are always willing to help out with customer questions.

Here is the 122performance.com o2.

O2 Notes:
Customer supplies external gate unless otherwise requested. The external gate flanges or the whole external gate will need to be sent to 122 Performance for the fabrication.
HKS standard gate recommended (it just makes it easier for me).
Requires customer cutting, fitting and welding of existing downpipe.
Requires removal of drivers side fan. Will be a tight fit for 2G

http://www.122performance.com/

The only other difference I see is the placement of the o2 bung. On the 122 unit, it is where the dump and the turbine outlet pipe meet. On the SLP unit it is before the location where the dump meets the turbine outlet pipe. I have no idea if this will make a difference.

DGajre777 said:
The SLP is stainless steel, the 122 one is not SS, but has high temp paint on it. 122 had on their website that they prefer HKS wastegates, the SLP one is flanged for a Tail type 38mm wastegate. When you buy it from 122, you have to send them your wastegate and they'll make the o2 housing for you. Since they are both 2 1/2" I don't see how one could out perform another. The additional cost for SLP is because it is made out of SS.

Just because they are made out of ss, does not mean they have to cost more, ss is only cents more than regular steel per pound. Its a nice piece regardless, but for the price of their o2 housign you can have a 122 and a tial almost. Plus the 122 seems to have a better o2 bung spot, easier to remove the o2 sensor.

ITSME4G63 said:
Just because they are made out of ss, does not mean they have to cost more, ss is only cents more than regular steel per pound. Its a nice piece regardless, but for the price of their o2 housign you can have a 122 and a tial almost. Plus the 122 seems to have a better o2 bung spot, easier to remove the o2 sensor.

SS is significantly more expensive as a materiali, but that isn't where the cost comes in.

Welding stainless steel requires a TIG welder, and a decent amount of skill. This is expensive, and that is why you get the price hike. Look at ANY welded SS part compared to a mild steel part. They're always significantly more expensive.

Not saying that to you that cost is neccessary or justified, merely that it is present.

drivemusicnow said:
SS is significantly more expensive as a materiali, but that isn't where the cost comes in.

Welding stainless steel requires a TIG welder, and a decent amount of skill. This is expensive, and that is why you get the price hike. Look at ANY welded SS part compared to a mild steel part. They're always significantly more expensive.

Not saying that to you that cost is neccessary or justified, merely that it is present.

I understand that, even so, to me, its not justified, especially when they make them by the dozens, and not to order. If you really want to get into it, you look at the time it takes to weld up one of these and the amount of materials used, plus their price, I bet they can sell it for 250$ and get away with a profit. Stainless steel isnt gold ya know, thats what brass is for, 3.5$ a pound, when it used to be what, a lil over a dollar 2 years ago. Im not knockign their housing, I just dont agree with the price, maybe if it was chrome plated, it would be justified more. :talon:

When someone makes a part they are in it to make the most money they can, not get away with some profit. If you don't want to pay $350ish for a SS unit get the 122 piece.

ITSME4G63 said:
I understand that, even so, to me, its not justified, especially when they make them by the dozens, and not to order. If you really want to get into it, you look at the time it takes to weld up one of these and the amount of materials used, plus their price, I bet they can sell it for 250$ and get away with a profit. Stainless steel isnt gold ya know, thats what brass is for, 3.5$ a pound, when it used to be what, a lil over a dollar 2 years ago. Im not knockign their housing, I just dont agree with the price, maybe if it was chrome plated, it would be justified more. :talon:

Go to Burnsstainless.com and check out the cost of SS bends. Now factor in the cost of CNC milling 1/2" stainless plate for the two flanges and the cost of fabrication and TIG welding the parts together. Profit margin is not going to be extrodinary.

As they say, if you can do it better, cheeper and faster, then do it :dsm:

DSM90AWD said:
Go to Burnsstainless.com and check out the cost of SS bends. Now factor in the cost of CNC milling 1/2" stainless plate for the two flanges and the cost of fabrication and TIG welding the parts together. Profit margin is not going to be extrodinary.

As they say, if you can do it better, cheeper and faster, then do it :dsm:

for a single piece, no I cant, but mass production, yes. But I see where this is going. Thanks for the input guys. :talon:

ITSME4G63 said:

Break down the cost and you'll see why they charge what they do.

Flange's are roughly $15-$20 for the o2 housing flange and the wastegate flanges are $15 each
1- 90 degree 3" stainless bend around $25
2-90 degree 1.5" stainless bend around $20 each
Time: Build time (roughly 2 hours @$50-$75/hr, packaging/shipping time, customer service time, time it takes to make the jig, etc
Advertising: Web site costs, vendor ad's on site like Dsmtuners, Dsmtalk, etc
Tools cost: Welder, consumables, band saw, jig, clamps, safety equipment, etc.
Shop: Lease, rent, own, whichever they all cost money, power, water, insurance.
Employees: shipping/receiving, sales, shop bi***, etc...

Also notice the flange on the 122 piece are about half as thick as the the SLS piece, that increases the change that they will warp and leak, but significantly lowers the cost.

They factor in a percentage of all of their costs and add them to the cost of the part. That's how a business is run, if the didn't do that they wouldn't make any money. If you still think it's overpriced then make it yourself.

Just as an FYI.. I picked up a used SS VPO2 dump pretty cheep a few years back and had SBR convert it for use with a Tial44. Turned out really nice and plan to re-reoute back to my exhaust using some flex tubing that's readily available at autoparts stores :dsm:

ITSME4G63 said:

www.shearerfabrications.com can make them and has in the past, both in 2.5 and 3 inch O2 housings. Give him a call.

drivemusicnow said:
Welding stainless steel requires a TIG welder, and a decent amount of skill. .

Just wanted to point out that SS does not require a TIG setup to weld up. I weld SS all the time with my mig. Now alum is a different story to get a good weld most people require a tig to be done right.

Also the SLS piece looks to be tig welded which will take a decent amount of extra time to weld up so the price increase isn't that bad. The 122 I would put alot of money saying that it is mig welded which will work fine but it takes alot less time to do. Since it is also mild steel there is no need to backpurge which saves time and money on gas.

i got lucky i just picked up a recirc o2 housing mount tial 38mm with the wastegate for 350.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back