The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rear Underbody Rust Removal/OEM restoration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95DSMGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 17, 2011
morristown, New_Jersey
Hi guys, I'm currently working on my 1996 GSX Eclipse. The car is bone stock with only 48,000 miles and I plan on restoring this thing and keeping it all stock. Before I owned this DSM, it was left outside in a supermarket parking lot for many years by its first owner. I plan on coating the underbody of the car but need to remove rust first.

Questions:
1.Does the rust look so bad it is probably better to replace the control arms, sway bar, trailing arms, etc?
2.I want only Mitsubishi replacement parts, so where do you recommend? STM looks pretty good so far. But the AWD rear passenger toe arm is discontinued. :/
3. Would the sway bar (stabilization bar) from a 1997 GS-t be compatible with a 1996 GSX? I think I heard the GSX is slightly thicker at 18mm, is this true?
4. I don't mind getting after market bushings, but how much of a pain in the ass is it to replace? Any kits or brands you would recommend?
5. I plan to use POR-15 and 3M Rubberized Undercoating after wire-wheeling the rust away and using a degreaser. Do you have any tips for this process or another brands to recommend?
6. Have I tried Google? Yes I have, but I would like the input from an experienced DSMer.

Here are some pictures

Passenger Side
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Center Diff

Driver Side

Attachments

• bMDwhMD.jpg
    bMDwhMD.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 5xsadc9.jpg
    5xsadc9.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 102
Doesn't loom too bad, only the second passenger side pic is loading for me... But as long as there's not a ton of rust rot i think your good sanding most of it away and using por. Also maybe spot weld if there small holes, or you can always rust converter then fiberglass them

good luck replacing the trailing arms generally there is a weld on the nut on the inside of the wheel well. Yes a GST sway bar is thinner. god speed has an aftermarket kit with both included for a about 200 if im not mistake or find one used.I have a GSX sway bar I am going to remove spray its surface with rust converter and put up for sale. Let me know best of luck . The heat shield on the gas tank is normally a rot victim . However many people run without them just get some solid straps from somewhere and coat them to deal with the weather

For the price of most parts your looking to replace why not just sandblast them and get them powder coated

It is a matter of how deep the rust has settled within the metal. Hopefully I am dealing with mostly surface rust, which in that case I will strip, prime, and repaint. I still look to replace bushings though. I will make a closer examination tonight and keep the thread updated. In the mean time, thanks for all the replies guys!

Don't buy POR-15. I used it by the book and my own way on some random parts and neither way worked for me. It chipped off easily even with the rubber coating on top. The best way I have found to work was a marine primer with rubber coating on top. Its grabs better than primer paint and rubber coat but that way was how it was done on my car when I got it and it worked nice but the car is 23 years old so it needed to be replaced.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back