The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Rear Tires Skipping on Turns (Auto)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97gst_spyder

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2008
Lakeland, Florida
This has been an issue since the AWD swap was done. Rear inside tire skips on any hard turns, at slow speeds. Checked everything, rear diff is not seized, pulled and swapped the center diff, nothing. The diff I pulled out and also replaced it with were both open! WTF can cause this? I have 4 brand new axles, 4 matching tires,

Also, after I installed the new diff the car acted perfect. I took about 3 sharp u-turns at full lock. No binding, car was great. After about 20 milles of city driving the issues were back.

Welded center diff can also cause some tire binding issues. Try street driving a welded center and rear end LOL... Has that trans ever been built? The welded center is atop the list for things to do for an auto.

Do your tranny, transfer case and rear diff all match? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be improper gearing. After busting my head for quite some time, I realized that the transfer case was causing the problem. I changed the transfer case to match the 96awd tranny I had and it took care of the skipping.

Welded center diff can also cause some tire binding issues. Try street driving a welded center and rear end LOL... Has that trans ever been built? The welded center is atop the list for things to do for an auto.

Stock 220k+ on the trans. Both center diffs were open, NOT welded. We thought the original one that came in the trans was welded by the symptoms. Swapped it same damn issues.

JaySyn77 said:
Do your tranny, transfer case and rear diff all match? I had a similar issue and it turned out to be improper gearing. After busting my head for quite some time, I realized that the transfer case was causing the problem. I changed the transfer case to match the 96awd tranny I had and it took care of the skipping.

They all came from a matching car. All had the same 1/8in of rust etc.

Was yours an auto or manual?

center diff is not open. it has a viscous coupler attached to it. a viscous coupler is a clutch pack diff that is sealed in its own fluid.
so if viscous was locked car would act just like a welded center diff would. not saying that is what you problem is. just clarifying how the driveline works.

rear tire bark suggests rear diff is locked, or not turning smoothly

I was thinking about the VC, but after reading everything I can on how our drivetrain works, I'm stumped.

I checked the rear diff with the driveshaft locked in part, I can rotate one rear tire forward and the other side will go backward. Also, with the driveshaft free, I spin one, and the other goes the same direction as per how the LSD is suppose to work. As far as I know.

On both center diffs, the two inner splines rotate opposite of each other. So as far as I can tell with that also, VC is all thats left.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back