The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Rear sway bar installation help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacolu3

Proven Member
Jan 31, 2015
Lake Grove, New_York
So I'm attempting to install a suspension tech rear sway bar on my 2g gsx. I ordered it from jnz and ordered part number 51192.
Having an issue with lining it up with the holes. It keeps hitting the exhaust pipe. I have a hks catback exhaust and the stock sway wasn't an issue but I can't seem to get the holes to line up. Am I doing something wrong.
Pics to follow

Thanks
Brian

The ST rear sway bar is notorious for having fitment issues with an aftermarket exhaust. The RM sway bar is designed to accommodate an aftermarket exhaust. It is one of those "research before you buy" kind of items. ST makes one bar that is supposed to fit both AWD and FWD DSMs, whereas RM makes different bars for both FWD and AWD applications.

Here is an example:

ST rear sway bar:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

RM rear sway bar:

Well my first mistake was going under the exhaust. This sway bar needs to go over the exhaust. The reason why it was working for me cause just like you said it hits the exhaust. Undid the hangers for the muffler and now it fits. But when you go to put the hangers back the sway bar is right up against it.

Something I'm going to have to live with for now. I couldn't get the hanger close to the muffler tip to go back on but I don't think the muffler is going to be moving much with the sway bar right up against the hanger

Just went for a test drive. Doesn't seem to rattle but the muffler is sitting really low now. I scraped it pulling out of my driveway a little bit. My car is only lowered a little bit with eibach springs. I think 1.2" so if it was lower than I'd really have some problems

I was originally going to reply saying your going from below the system but i thought you knew this already so i never bothered to reply. I thought by now they would have made a revision with a small arch in it to allow for the system

I was originally going to reply saying your going from below the system but i thought you knew this already so i never bothered to reply. I thought by now they would have made a revision with a small arch in it to allow for the system

I was trying everyway I could possibly try. I was going crazy trying to get it to fit. I kept trying to check the model number, flipping it the other way, above the exhaust, below the exhaust. I was getting so aggravated.

Last edited:
I have the same bar on my Tsi fwd. The bar I got was used, but the installation instructions said to use the stock brackets with the urethane fittings. What if you slotted the brackets like other companies do and rested the brackets slightly higher? I noticed there is a little room for play at the links.

I have the same bar on my Tsi fwd. The bar I got was used, but the installation instructions said to use the stock brackets with the urethane fittings. What if you slotted the brackets like other companies do and rested the brackets slightly higher? I noticed there is a little room for play at the links.

I'm not sure that would be enough. The exhaust is being pushed down probably 2 inches. It would help but would need much more

That sucks. However, is it possible by raising the brackets (even drilling new holes) the problem area will angle back and up, since it will be pulling on the links from a different angle? There should be enough clearance around the toe arms from what I can see on my own bar. Or possibly use different links? Or, switch the links so they're poking out of the bottom of the arm (I don't even know if that's possible, but it would definely angle the bar down and back)
No matter what, if its not fixable I would not sacrifice my exhaust. That's ridiculous and I would contact st and/or whoever you got it from and demand a refund.

Edit: after further investigation on my own bar, I would definitely try my suggestion of removing the links from the control arms and installing them so they poke out of the bottom hole of the arm, then connecting the sway bar in that spot. This should swing the U part up enough to clear the exhaust and I don't see why this would cause any sort of functionality problems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's worth trying before you go doing anything drastic.

Last edited:
You could have that section of exhaust cut out and angled better to clear the sway bar. I still wouldn't like how far the exhaust would have to come down though.

I figure if I have to pay for the exhaust to be redone it will prob be the same amount as the rm sway bar and I might be better off just doing that. Going to try to see if I can get a refund

I can tell you the RM bar will fit wonderfully. Plenty of room for exhaust. It even clears my high mounted exhaust.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the difference between an ST, RM, Tanabe, etc. Sway bar versus a godspeed, speed daddy, etc, which cost $120 for the pair and look like they fit better (at least the rear). The diameters are roughly the same (21mm front/ 19mm rear). I was about to get the cheapos but I wound up getting a set of used ST bars and bushings off my buddy for $80, and the powder coating had already eroded in many places.
If they're anything like strut bars, I'd rather save $ and go cheap. My DNA strut bars (speed daddy) cost $36 for the pair and actually look better than the Buschur bar on my other car.

Can someone please enlighten me as to what the difference between an ST, RM, Tanabe, etc. Sway bar versus a godspeed, speed daddy, etc, which cost $120 for the pair and look like they fit better (at least the rear). The diameters are roughly the same (21mm front/ 19mm rear). I was about to get the cheapos but I wound up getting a set of used ST bars and bushings off my buddy for $80, and the powder coating had already eroded in many places.
If they're anything like strut bars, I'd rather save $ and go cheap. My DNA strut bars (speed daddy) cost $36 for the pair and actually look better than the Buschur bar on my other car.

Start a new thread. I am sure you already know the difference between the ST and RM bar while reviewing this thread.

I was really only asking a rhetorical question. I realize there are specific differences between the different brands' shape and adjustability, but there are no apparent reasons why the OP can't just buy a set of bars and a case of craft beer for less than the price of one ST bar. I sympathize with the OP because he's stuck with an overpriced product which doesn't fit as described. I had to take an angle grinder to my frame to prevent my ST bar from rubbing. If I paid even close to MSRP for these bars I would be outraged. There's also another member selling this bar in classifieds for the same reason. Hopefully a refund will be given.
Evidently the OP is in need of a better fitting bar; I was merely suggesting other less expensive options poised in the form of rhetoric.
Sorry, just had to vent.:D

Last edited:
So I contacted ST about this issue and they basically said it's designed around the stock exhaust so I would need to modify my hks exhaust.

Revive!!!! I am also running into this issue as I am installing an HKS exhaust on my gst. Couldn't figure out why I spent that much money on an exhaust that hits the sway bar....
Thanks to @2gmitsueclipse for providing photos of the RM sway bar. This was my frustration of today. Once again dsmtuners comes in clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back