The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Rear drums to disk brake conversion question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnie

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 29, 2012
San Diego, California
Ok I have seen a couple of posts and different sites.

RS/ES to Drums conversion

Donor: 1995-1999
** GS, GS-T or GS-X Eclipse Models **
** Talon Models , ESI, TSI AWD, **

Non rear brake models:
** ES, RS, and Base Models **

My questions...
" Is there a difference between the GSX GS-T rear brakes?
Does it really matter where you get the conversion from? "

Information sites / Guides:

98 Eclipse RS / Rear Brake Drum to Disc Conversion

Non Turbo DSM Mods

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/424929-drum-disk-swap-seized-brake-line-nuts.html

You can also you the 3g 2000-2005 eclipse rear brake swap also has the better upper control arms. Everything is bolt on.

Yeah read up on that a while back when I was looking into rear sway bars. I would of done that if I didn't buy the synergy rear suspension bushings.

The rear sway bars are also better then the 2g ones and more stable!

Thanks for that post bro it adds more information to this thread! :hellyeah: :sneaky:

You can use any 95-99 Eclipse, Talon, Sebring, or Avenger. Some early 95s have vented rear discs and they are harder to find rotors for so you may want to avoid those.

Would you happen to know of a picture to show what to avoid for future searchers

All dsm rear disk brakes are the same with the exeption of some early 2g 95 models but they are kinda rare anyway.

So avoid 95-96 Models? LOL

Last edited:
Would you happen to know of a picture to show what to avoid for future searchers

So avoid 95-96 Models? LOL

just avoid vented rotors haha when i did my swap i got a set of those , long story short , the rotors eat my caliper base not so preatty and very dangerous,

you want not vented rotors hers a pic.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i still have the rotors and calipers i'll take a pic when i have time later ;)

just avoid vented rotors haha when i did my swap i got a set of those , long story short , the rotors eat my caliper base not so preatty and very dangerous,

you want not vented rotors hers a pic.

i still have the rotors and calipers i'll take a pic when i have time later ;)

Thank you appreciate everything! :dsm: :hellyeah: :thumb:

sorry for not uploading the pics erlier idk if you already got your swap, ive been kindda bussy, anny ways heres my swap when i finished it with the vented rotors

everything bolts right up, but if you see close in the middle theres a gap about 5-7mm,

i changed the vented rotors for non vented but drilled and sloted and this is what happened ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (its a video)

changed the calipers for ones of a late gst and that solved it haha

the reason whe thers a gap and the rotors srap the caliper is a diferent sized center hub or the inner drum on the rotor is longer. well alteast thats my theory, they would had worked with spacers inside but it was easier to get the right set.

heres the the vented rotors and the calipers for them

here you can see where the rotor chew the caliper LOL.

i had to use washers sinde the bolts that came with the caliper were longer and touched the rotor.

old drums colecting dust and oxide haha

also notices the rear entrance for the parking brake is diferent on the drums and the disk set up, you can re use your parking brake cable but you need to modify the entrance of the dust plate, not big deal but i decided to get the gst parking cables aswell ;)

you can re-use the parking brake cables without any modification at all (other than taking off the dust covers). the only problem is that the drum brake cables are longer than the disk brake cables, so when you put the backing plate on, it bends the cable more than they are made to bend. Might be an issue in the long run, but they do fit.

sorry for not uploading the pics erlier idk if you already got your swap, ive been kindda bussy, anny ways heres my swap when i finished it with the vented rotors

everything bolts right up, but if you see close in the middle theres a gap about 5-7mm,

i changed the vented rotors for non vented but drilled and sloted and this is what happened ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (its a video)

changed the calipers for ones of a late gst and that solved it haha

the reason whe thers a gap and the rotors srap the caliper is a diferent sized center hub or the inner drum on the rotor is longer. well alteast thats my theory, they would had worked with spacers inside but it was easier to get the right set.

heres the the vented rotors and the calipers for them

here you can see where the rotor chew the caliper LOL.

i had to use washers sinde the bolts that came with the caliper were longer and touched the rotor.

old drums colecting dust and oxide haha

also notices the rear entrance for the parking brake is diferent on the drums and the disk set up, you can re use your parking brake cable but you need to modify the entrance of the dust plate, not big deal but i decided to get the gst parking cables aswell ;)

OMG that noise was killing me!!!!

Thanks for that information brother! :dsm:

I was going to go to the yard and pull a set, but a bro from here said he was gonna give me his RBC when he gets Rear brembos! Real nice dude! Glad I joined them forums! Really nice people!

:) :D

you can re-use the parking brake cables without any modification at all (other than taking off the dust covers). the only problem is that the drum brake cables are longer than the disk brake cables, so when you put the backing plate on, it bends the cable more than they are made to bend. Might be an issue in the long run, but they do fit.

Isn't that why you change them when you do the conversion? :confused: so you don't have any interference LOL

Last edited:
Isn't that why you change them when you do the conversion? :confused: so you don't have any interference LOL

everything about the swap is very simple except swaping e-brake cables. the easiest way to swap them is to drop the exhaust.
by just using the drum brake cables, you save yourself at least an hour of work.

everything about the swap is very simple except swaping e-brake cables. the easiest way to swap them is to drop the exhaust.
by just using the drum brake cables, you save yourself at least an hour of work.

Late response on my part and thanks for the information. :hellyeah:
I'll either find a way to tie the drums cable so it doesn't hang :D or just do the hour way and swap the cables! :ohdamn: :hmm:

you can't tie them off. the cables are VERY stiff. by using the drum brake cables they will have an extra bend in them. a very stiff bend.

you can't tie them off. the cables are VERY stiff. by using the drum brake cables they will have an extra bend in them. a very stiff bend.

I didn't mean bend LOL, I meant put it to the side somewhere. So it doesn't get in the way of anything. I might swap the cables wen I do this.

Random question.

What's the different in GST FRONT/REAR BRAKES? From the front RS brakes? Still new to this topic.

Rs, Gs and GST front brakes are all the same. RS and Gs had a rear disc brake option while GST was always equipped with it. Either way they were all the same. Only early 95 GSX models had vented rear discs/different calipers.

Here's another tutorial:

How To: 8G Rear Disc Brake Conversion

Hate to be that guy that brings a thread back to life over 10 years later LOL. But does anyone know if i can mod my rear drum brake back plate so i can put calipers on? To me it doesnt make sense for it to actually work...but ya'll smarter then me on this stuff LOL.

Im having a HELL of a time finding the disc brake backing plates....can only get them from Japan and 6-8week wait

Just did this swap last fall. No, you cannot modify the back plates. Contact Steve Miller @ Miller Import (Used) Parts. He'll be your new best friend. It's where we got ours. We scoured them, applied POR-15 and then a black top coat and they look like new. Steve is a member here, but seldom visits. His fastest replies to us are through FB Messenger.

Just did this swap last fall. No, you cannot modify the back plates. Contact Steve Miller @ Miller Import (Used) Parts. He'll be your new best friend. It's where we got ours. We scoured them, applied POR-15 and then a black top coat and they look like new. Steve is a member here, but seldom visits. His fastest replies to us are through FB Messenger.
Threads alive!!! Lol thanks for the info, ill creep him on FB and let him know someone from here told me to msg him, but ill also get ahold of him @Miller import. Much appreciated, was super disappointed when i priced out the complete drum brakes and then the complete rear disc brakes.....only to find out its this ONE (well two...one on each side) part is what im having a hard time finding.

Not sure if it matters but im in Ontario Canada, so shipping wont be an issue you think?

Thanks again for the help!! 🍻

Hopefully shipping won't be an issue since they are used auto parts.

You probably already know that you will need different parking brake cables. We've seen the articles where they modify the backing plate to accept the drum cables, but to us, that seemed wrong and unsafe.

Several articles forget to tell you that you need bolts to attach the rear calipers to the backing plate. The size is M10 x 1.25 x 10mm, You'll need four of them.

You can see how we did it here:

Post #53:

Best of luck on the installation. Take your time and it is very straight forward.

Hopefully shipping won't be an issue since they are used auto parts.

You probably already know that you will need different parking brake cables. We've seen the articles where they modify the backing plate to accept the drum cables, but to us, that seemed wrong and unsafe.

Several articles forget to tell you that you need bolts to attach the rear calipers to the backing plate. The size is M10 x 1.25 x 10mm, You'll need four of them.

You can see how we did it here:

Post #53:

Best of luck on the installation. Take your time and it is very straight forward.
That seems to make more sense cuz visually it didnt seem like the calipers were going to be able to bolt on. So the cables on my 97 RS are going to be a bit longer right? So i should purchase the stock cables from a model that comes stock rear calipers. Ill take a look at your guide shortly once i get back to my computer, difficult reading stuff from a phone. The bolts i doubt ill have an issue finding...local parts store probably has a bunch.

I did contact Miller's and they confirmed they can send to Canada, very friendly people i like that. Thanks again, ill post here when it all comes together

Did this swap a while back on my spyder.. Just get gst spindles
I read about that also in another forum, honestly at this point im going to take what i can get, here in Canada all these vehicles have been crushed, salvage yards wont even acknowledge my requests and anything i find as "part outs" has sat in the grass fornyears and they r rotted out conpletely. Ill request the gst as a preference, but really im good with whatever can get the job done.

That seems to make more sense cuz visually it didnt seem like the calipers were going to be able to bolt on. So the cables on my 97 RS are going to be a bit longer right? So i should purchase the stock cables from a model that comes stock rear calipers. Ill take a look at your guide shortly once i get back to my computer, difficult reading stuff from a phone. The bolts i doubt ill have an issue finding...local parts store probably has a bunch.

I did contact Miller's and they confirmed they can send to Canada, very friendly people i like that. Thanks again, ill post here when it all comes together

Maybe Miller can send you the cables too.

So did my swap finally today, didnt get it completed but the ebrake cables are ran, and mounted, backing plate and parking brake assembly installed....took 4 hours to get this far, but im working out of my father inlaws garage and trying to find anything in there is total hell. (I hate working in other ppls garages)...

Previous owner has damn near rounded the flex brake line so thats gonna be fun to redo. The hardest part was running the cable and trying to mount bolts into the rusted holes that were not used...but were suppost to be used....

All and all it was a good day, easy install really. I mounted the ebrake shoes and all in my shed then brought them to the car. I forgot to order rear pads (spaced out when i ordered 10 other parts) so im going to wait till the new flex hose comes in to finish it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back