The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Rear Axle Thread Size/Pitch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinzon

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
So, I grabbed a LSD rear end and axles from a 95 TSI AWD in the junkyard to replace the open differential rear in my Talon. In the process I slightly flattened out the threads on the outer end of the axle where the castle nut secures them to the hub and I was wondering what the thread size and pitch was so I can freshen up the threads.

The damage isn't too bad and the castle nut would probably screw onto the axle without trouble, but since no one makes aftermarket replacement rear axles, I'd rather play it safe and re-tap the threads to avoid stripping them out on reassembly.

Anyone know?

On an unrelated note, the junkyard talon was rather odd. It had absolutely no options other than the LSD rear. No keyless, sunroof, leather, power seats, or premium sound system. I had never seen an AWD car with so few options.

Solution
I followed poonman's advice and purchased new axle nuts and the Dorman box they came in listed the thread pitch and size. So, for the sake of future searchers, the rear axle thread size and pitch is M22-1.50.
Just go to the auto store, ask for a new nut, and ask them were there bolt/nut gauges are and take it over and match up the thread. If you need help, I live down the road from you on 91st

Just wanted to say thank you for keeping this thread around as I used it to find the thread pitch and die I need to repair my threads. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back