The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rear ABS Speed Sensor Interchangability

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shinzon

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 11, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
When doing a recent non-LSD to LSD rear differential swap, the chilton's manual said I needed to remove the ABS speed sensor from the HUB so I could get enough free-play to move the knuckle out of the way of the axle. What the manual didn't tell me, was that the speed sensors usually crack/break when trying to remove them and should be left alone as you can obtain the same free-play just unbolting the line from the lower control arm. :notgood: Subsequently, I damaged the rear driver's speed sensor and now my ABS light is illuminated on the dash.

The dealer wants $120 for the speed sensor, but Standard Motor Products makes a rear after market speed sensor for FWD cars which my girlfriend, who manages a parts store, can get at a discount. What I'm wondering is can you use a FWD speed sensor on an AWD car? I looked at a few non-turbo eclipses at the junk yard and they seem to look exactly the same. ASA lists different part numbers for FWD and AWD, but the PNC is exactly the same between the two as is the illustration.

Anyone have any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back