The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Really quick question, im not sure if this is right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex99gst

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2003
Nashville, Tennessee
ok ive seen that a lot of people remove that stupid carpet insulator crap on the underside of the hood. i was told today that if u did that then the engine heat would cause the hood to eventually melt. is this true? i thought since the hood was made of steel it would just get crap hot? oh well just if you know what would happen if i removed it from the car if it would have any harmful side effects. sorry for the stupid question but i want to know

With out the "fire blanket" this is what happens :

the extreme heat from the exhaust manifold accelerates paint deterioration. Essentially BAKING the clear coat off first, followed by the base coat, followed by rust.

That was a fire blanket you are refering to......Fire erupts underhood, plastic clips melt, Fire blanket drops on engine smothering flames. Or thats how it was designed to work. I have never had a engine fire with a DSM.

A Z28...well thats a different story.

gsxtacy

gsxtacy said:
That was a fire blanket you are refering to......Fire erupts underhood, plastic clips melt, Fire blanket drops on engine smothering flames. Or thats how it was designed to work.
NO. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!

It is ONLY for heat insulation, and
will do SHIT-ALL for a fire.

IT IS NOT A "FIRE BLANKET"
of ANY sort.

GodDAMN, this myth is tough to kill. :rolleyes:

ow, crap. I blew out a cholesterol plug.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back