The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Questions about replacing rear struts on 1G AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XC92

Proven Member
Jul 22, 2020
Queens, New_York
I just replaced the rear struts on my '92 Talon TSi AWD and want to make sure I did it correctly.

I got new struts, mounts & bellows/bumpers, all KYB (non-adjustable since I'm running stock). I reused the stock springs, brackets and cups, which appeared to be in good shape, after removing all rust, cleaning and painting them. I've rebuilt strut assemblies before so I'm pretty sure I did it right, using spring compressors of course.

I'm just wondering whether I used the right parts that came with the new struts and mounts. The KYB mount kit, part # SM5091, came with a metal sleeve, washer and 2 bushings, all identical to the stock parts they replaced. These were the parts I used. But it also came with an additional bushing that was slightly higher than the stock one. This is the one that goes on top of the bracket. What's this additional higher one for? Could it be for use with lowering springs, to compensate for the shorter throw, or for otherwise modifying the rear suspension?

The struts also came with a washer that wasn't part of the stock assembly. It was relatively thin, I'd say around 1.5mm. Not sure what to do with it or whether to even use it, I ended up putting it on top of the metal flange on the upper part of the strut rod, that goes right under the metal cap, figuring that it was meant to spread the load on upward rod movement. I hope this doesn't throw everything off. If it's not supposed to be used on 1G DSM AWD's, I'll remove it. I haven't driven the car yet as there's still some other work to be done.

Finally, tightening the top nut was a bit complicated. The supplied nut uses a nylon self-locking insert, and after a few turns it locks onto the threads and turning it further turns the rod. The top of the rod has a rectangular tip with the short ends slightly rounded, that I assumed were wrench flats to secure the rod while tightening the nut. But this makes it impossible to use a torque wrench with a socket. I could have used a crow foot socket but I don't have one in the correct size (14mm IIRC) and using one changes the torque setting. Instead, I used a combo wrench to tighten it by hand, until I felt resistance, where I gave it another turn or so.

Ive done this im not sure about a right way, youll know how it feels when you drive it. At that poing you can make adjustments as needed. Did it come with instructions.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Very generic instructions with the KYBs. The DSM FSM is more detailed, but didn't show a washer or the dimensions of the bushings. I'm guessing that the way I did it was fine, just making sure. I've seen this video several times but between speeding up the crucial parts and blocking things with their backs, it's not very useful IMO.

Sometimes I wish ChrisFix owned some DSMs. Even Scotty Kilmer. ROFL

Btw, while on the topic of handling & suspension, do the rear spoilers on any DSMs really serve any useful purpose, both at normal highway speeds and on tracks or while otherwise driving way above the speed limit on roads (not that anyone here has ever done that of course heh)?

Never thought about that spoiler , kybs, well thats all i did when i installed straight foward used the parts with kit. Anything specific may want to contact kyb, but i never had a problem installing.
put them on and went driving no issues, ever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back