The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Putting One Of the 3g RX-7 Twins On My ESi

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiousECLIPSE

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2004
Mankato-Area, Minnesota
Would it be possible (within a decent price range) to make a kit to fit one of the stock 3g RX7 turbos on the 420A and run it at 6 psi?

My brother has one laying around from his RX7 and said we could put it on my car if I wanted.

Don't know much about the FD twins but I figure it would be greatly cheaper to buy a used T25 or 14b. These turbos already have the mitsu turbo housing so you could make an exhaust manifold or buy one quite easily. Also using a mitsubishi flange on exhaust manifold will allow you to use all of the bolt on turbos for us 4G63's. You can pick up a supra intercooler or a DSM stock one and make some custom piping. The whole kit could be made for under 500 dollars if you source good used parts. Don't forget about engine management and all fuel supplies as well as monitoring devices. The last thing you want to do is blow that 420a. Please N/T guys don't be mad if this isn't the route you go seeing that I'm a 4G63 guy and just stumbled in.

...t3

Forgot to mention, my dad is an engineer, so I have access to his shop and him. Also, I hardly expect 6 psi is gonna blow the 420A.

Free turbo, possibly free materials and free use of a shop and tools.

audiousECLIPSE said:
Forgot to mention, my dad is an engineer, so I have access to his shop and him. Also, I hardly expect 6 psi is gonna blow the 420A.

get ready to be suprised then.. 4 psi can blow the 420a if bad tuning is done..

You can put ANY turbo on ANY engine. Whether or not it will work efficiently or work at all is beside the point. If you have access to a machine shop and an engineer to go with your free turbo, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to put something together. Research some manifold design (log style is simpler and therefore cheaper), and all the other aspects of turbocharging. As was stated above, 4psi will lean you way the #### out if you're not smart. All turbos work the same way - they force more air into your engine. You need to add the appropriate amount of fuel or even 4lbs will cost you dearly. Just because a turbo comes off a different car does not mean that all the rest of the rules for turbocharging change.

Do your homework and you can do it.

K, I realize any amount of pressure could kill a setup that isn't properly tuned. I'm in a family of car guys, I'm sure they can help me out. Thanks for the help, though.

the FD twins aren't too shabby. I helped a friend make a manifold to bolt a pair of FD twins to his L28t 280Z

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back