The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

PTT disk splines gone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fastlaser

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2003
glendora, New_Jersey
had the clutch in my car for 2500 miles. I was pulling off a light and it sounded like something let go and started to make a grinding sound when disengaging the clutch to put it into gears. I just happened to be 2 minutes from were i was going. I pulled the trans out and found all the splines on the first disk were gone, second disk were on there way. I called ptt and ofcourse they asked me on issues about the trans and stuff that wouldnt pertain to the clutch taking a crap (input shaft runout, etc.). The trans, and all internal parts are brand new, and went in with the clutch.

has anyone torn these splines apart yet? or have had them warrenty the issue, or should i just bite the bullet and get new disk? What else should i replace with the clutch? Pressure plates? flywheel resurface? Thanks in advance

I've heard of this problem with the earlier PTTs and it is why I steered clear of them and went with a QM. I've since been told that the QM and PTT are almost identical now down to everything but the pressure plate.

Do you know if you had the "new" PTT discs? There was a new hardening that was supposedly done that people are having better luck with now.

Ive had the clutch for 4-5 months...car is a weekend track car, does it street driven. Im not sure when the revised the disk so i have no idea

It didnt do anything to the input shaft...it just killed the splines on the first disk and the other disk was almost there.

They gave me some question about the run out of the input shaft and i told her its all new LOL. I know they will probably not help me. I loved the clutch for when it worked, i mean it sucks when you have problems with acts shifting, and wearing out under torque, try the new better clutch and have a whole new issue.

i just put one into my car today.....then 10mins later broke the 3bolt....LOL

I loved the clutch for when it worked, i mean it sucks when you have problems with acts shifting, and wearing out under torque, try the new better clutch and have a whole new issue.

Tell me about it, I'm battling my QM right now trying to get it to launch like my ACT would. I've got all sorts of small things on order trying to get it straightened out.

I almost wish Exedy would hurry up and redesign the PP on their DSM twin to hold more torque. I've heard the Exedy work good in the Evo for the price and I would have given it a shot if it wasn't for a couple of shops telling me the ones in the DSM are only rated for about 400ft-lbs of torque. The shops said a re-design was coming but I haven't gotten any updates in a while.

Tell me about it, I'm battling my QM right now trying to get it to launch like my ACT would. I've got all sorts of small things on order trying to get it straightened out.

I almost wish Exedy would hurry up and redesign the PP on their DSM twin to hold more torque. I've heard the Exedy work good in the Evo for the price and I would have given it a shot if it wasn't for a couple of shops telling me the ones in the DSM are only rated for about 400ft-lbs of torque. The shops said a re-design was coming but I haven't gotten any updates in a while.

i got you covered on the launching. Have you tryed pulling the ebrake and letting out the clutch to the point it loads up the drivetrain, push the gas down till you just start bounching off the launch control (if you have it) then do the typical really fast slip out/drop ebrake and floor it! I wooped on acouple big turbo evos hard out of the hole like that

i got you covered on the launching. Have you tryed pulling the ebrake and letting out the clutch to the point it loads up the drivetrain, push the gas down till you just start bounching off the launch control (if you have it) then do the typical really fast slip out/drop ebrake and floor it! I wooped on acouple big turbo evos hard out of the hole like that

Yeah, I've tried that, it gives me the same chatter issues that I get not doing it. I'm afraid I might have warped the pressure plate or one the discs trying to slip it too much. I've got a few things to try and will take a look at the clutch here soon when I install the PTT throw-out bearing. If everything is still straight on the clutch then I'm hoping some bushings in the front end along with other stuff will get it figured out.

had the clutch in my car for 2500 miles. I was pulling off a light and it sounded like something let go and started to make a grinding sound when disengaging the clutch to put it into gears. I just happened to be 2 minutes from were i was going. I pulled the trans out and found all the splines on the first disk were gone, second disk were on there way. I called ptt and ofcourse they asked me on issues about the trans and stuff that wouldnt pertain to the clutch taking a crap (input shaft runout, etc.). The trans, and all internal parts are brand new, and went in with the clutch.

has anyone torn these splines apart yet? or have had them warrenty the issue, or should i just bite the bullet and get new disk? What else should i replace with the clutch? Pressure plates? flywheel resurface? Thanks in advance

I shredded off the splines on my Quarter master twin disk on the dyno, along with twisting the splines on my input shaft, shearing the teeth off of 3rd gear, intermediate shaft, center differential, and the output shaft -- all at the same time.

I have since upgraded to the forged hub, updated clutch disks and also replaced the floater and the fulcrum plate and hardware. It wasn't cheap, so it better freakin work.

when did they start making the new disks? just bad luck i hope mine doesnt do that....

The "updated" disks were available this spring with a different hub offset on the 2nd disk hub (the one closer to the flywheel) because the splines didn't fully engage the input shaft by 3/16" of an inch, and the forged "hardened" hubs are now an $$$ extra.

The "updated" disks were available this spring with a different hub offset on the 2nd disk hub (the one closer to the flywheel) because the splines didn't fully engage the input shaft by 3/16" of an inch, and the forged "hardened" hubs are now an $$$ extra.

figures, i got the clutch in spring but im wondering if they were the "updated" disk. Im wondering if there just gonna say oh well to me, or will the warrenty the disk? Can you resurface the flywheel? or with 2500 miles could i just throw in new disk and go on my way? Or should i buy new floaters, and flywheel? What are my options here....

If i want the hardened hubs im guessing i could just ask them, does any vendors carry them?

great...so that means all the old ones will fail then? im pretty sure i have the old ones.....how much is it rebuild this clutch anyways?

figures, i got the clutch in spring but im wondering if they were the "updated" disk. Im wondering if there just gonna say oh well to me, or will the warrenty the disk? Can you resurface the flywheel? or with 2500 miles could i just throw in new disk and go on my way? Or should i buy new floaters, and flywheel? What are my options here....

If i want the hardened hubs im guessing i could just ask them, does any vendors carry them?

I purchased mine through Adam at DevoTuning, but you should be able to order them directly from Quarter Master.

There is no warranty on clutches.

Of course you can resurface the flywheel if it needs it. I would inspect it and if there are hot spots or wear spots, then resurface it -- otherwise just toss in the other disks -- that is what I did.

Measure the floaters for wear, and flatness -- if they are in spec, reuse them; otherwise replace them.

Either way, use NEW installation hardware.

yeah im gonna check for wear, i didnt have any chatter problems while driving, or loading up the drivetrain to launch. Problem is i have a PTT and i know the QM disk will work in mine. To my understanding there thicker (.200 PTT to .250 QM) im guessing PTT dosent make hardened hubs? I guess i could just call QM and get some info. Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression the QM's hubs were hardened and not PTT's. I just order a new set of qm's for my ptt, expecting to get the hardened versions, should I have specifically asked for hardened ones?

I was under the impression the QM's hubs were hardened and not PTT's. I just order a new set of qm's for my ptt, expecting to get the hardened versions, should I have specifically asked for hardened ones?

For some reason i remember Devo tuning telling me the QM disk will not fit (thickness wise) into a PTT, because the ptt are .200 and the QM are .250. But definatly let me know if it works, because ill be buying the QM disk next.

For some reason i remember Devo tuning telling me the QM disk will not fit (thickness wise) into a PTT, because the ptt are .200 and the QM are .250. But definatly let me know if it works, because ill be buying the QM disk next.

I am worried that the QM disks will not work in the PTT clutch cover mainly due to the step height of the clutch cover. 0.200" vs. 0.250" per disk is a decent amount of variation resulting in 0.100" of excess depth required.

Give it a try, but you will find out quickly if you are having disengagement issues, OR that the clutch cover will not fully seat its steps onto the flywheel mounting surface.

ALSO, the only way to get hardened hubs for the QM disks, is to specifically request them and pay the extra money. The standard rally disks are not hardened.

Keep us posted!

I was told over on the link board to specifically get QM's for my PTT. But I have an older ptt, that came with .250", before they made the switch to .200"... I'm under the impression there are a few guys running it this way.

Whats the cost of the hardened ones, do you know off hand? 249-279 was the number I was getting from a few places when I just asked them for some .250" qm's, with a 20 spline 7/8"... Perhaps I should call jnz and see what the difference is. Or am I confusing a heat treated hub for being the hardened version.

The heat-treated hub is the "hardened" hub. I cannot remember what the pricing on the disks are. Just contact Quarter Master, as the prices are fairly close wherever you go; there is not much of a markup on their product, as it is regulated by the company pretty well.

If you have a PTT clutch that was designed for the 0.250" disks, then they will be interchangable without issues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back