The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Prototype A/T Transmission Manual Controller

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
Well... Rising blood pressure after seeing the cost of the IPT Shift box caused me to research into how shift boxes were made. They are fairly simple, so I decided to create a "prototype" shift box to test on my car. There are two ways you can make a shift box... 2 toggle switches to control the transmission solenoids, or 4 buttons to select each gear. I took the much easier way out and went with 2 toggle switches. I am going to give it a test in my car, and if it works good, I will use it at the track most likely.

Downsides:

-Not idiot proof (example: you can shift into 1st while your going 120)
-It is confusing at first until you memorize the switch positions for each gear
-Not as convenient as push buttons.

Advantages:

-Full manual control of shifts
-Full line pressure shifts

This thing was STUPID easy to make, so I figured why not give it a shot. I will see how things work out... But for now, here is a picture of the prototype so far:

Comments?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I like the idea but how hard is it going to be to pay attention to the ups and downs of each shift while your racing down the track?

It works great, its my preferred method of shifting. Going down the track all you do is shift the 1st switch off for second gear then the 2nd switch off for third, it is very intuitive and easy to remember.

It would be really nice if you could figure out a different type of switch so that you could make a ratchet or sequential type of shifter, you know, its in first, pull back to 2, 3, and 4 but that would more than likely require some type of circuit board, but mad props for figuring this out on your own.

btw i would be the person who hit the traps and popped first LOL:dsm:

It would be really nice if you could figure out a different type of switch so that you could make a ratchet or sequential type of shifter, you know, its in first, pull back to 2, 3, and 4 but that would more than likely require some type of circuit board, but mad props for figuring this out on your own.

btw i would be the person who hit the traps and popped first LOL:dsm:

I'm actually looking into making something work like this for my car this winter. Wanting to use a Reverse pattern ratchet shifter. Should be able to make it work.

Anyways, the toggle box looks pretty good. Good work. Let us know how it works on the street.

hmmm, interesting! what kinda price you looking at? i am also looking for one of those RTM shift units discussed in the other thread. i know you can make both :)

Why would you want to use a physical shifter, it would still be slower then just flipping a switch and then you have to buy the shifter also. It would probably triple the price. And nobody uses 4th in racing anyways.

If you don't make more please contact me direct as I would be interested in purchasing one if you only make a couple or however much it would cost to get you to just make another one.

Why would you want to use a physical shifter, it would still be slower then just flipping a switch and then you have to buy the shifter also. It would probably triple the price. And nobody uses 4th in racing anyways.

If you don't make more please contact me direct as I would be interested in purchasing one if you only make a couple or however much it would cost to get you to just make another one.

I don't like the idea of being able to go into any gear by accidentally pushing the wrong button.
Going to take some work to make something like this work out. Still in the idea trying to see how we can make it work phase. If not I'll do the push button style. Just wanting to try this.

Let us know how it works.

For improvement, you should think about micro switches, on-off, and install them with a relay into this box. Put the micro switches on the wheel as horn replacements, or as a wheel mounted paddle system. Drive and shift with both hands on the wheel. Run each micro switch into a relay, relay activates, cuts power to other switches, preventing any unwanted shifts. From there, add a tiny light bar or individual led's near the gauge cluster to show what gear your in.

I don't like the idea of being able to go into any gear by accidentally pushing the wrong button.
Going to take some work to make something like this work out. Still in the idea trying to see how we can make it work phase. If not I'll do the push button style. Just wanting to try this.

Well both up is first gear, leave in first, put the first button down youre in second gear, 2nd switch down you are in 3rd gear and that's all you need. If you go up on any you'll mess stuff up, but the only time you would do that is maybe on the street, which I would just run in line with a switch to turn off when you wanted to use the stock tcu. Just an idea.

Just an Idea

I would be very interested in buying one of these for the upcoming season. That's awesome that you made one, and hopefully it will work like a charm, but how much harder would it be to make 2 buttons to push to shift up one gear and down one gear? To me, those toggle switches are so small and, knowing me, I would accidentally grab the wrong one or something.

Let me know how everything goes, and congrats!

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update:

I am currently in the process of locating the necessary button switches I need to make this a push button shifter. There will be 4 buttons, one for each gear. I should have a prototype done soon.

Guys, PM me if you are interested in one... I don't want to turn this into a for-sale ad or anything, but I would just like to talk with the people who would be interested.

UPDATE:

Here are 2 videos of me using the box. Please excuse the box being UPSIDE DOWN in the video... It was my first time testing it and I mounted the switches backwards and upside-down. I wanted to do some WOT pulls to show you guys, but unfortunately trying to hold the camera, the wheel, the shifter, and watch where I was going was a little much.

Tomorrow I will being a friend to film for me.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh488u2uaYI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nh488u2uaYI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzGA4RrvQWY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzGA4RrvQWY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

More videos:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnkCb_YKzc0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rnkCb_YKzc0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PGeXZhtlhE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PGeXZhtlhE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I'm actually looking into making something work like this for my car this winter. Wanting to use a Reverse pattern ratchet shifter. Should be able to make it work.

Anyways, the toggle box looks pretty good. Good work. Let us know how it works on the street.

It's easy. I've already made a stock shifter into a reverse manual shifter. One one of my personal cars I'm running a shiftronic out of a hyundai. Once you understand how the TCU works you can pretty much make that trans do anything you want. The best part is it's already all set up for you, all you gotta do is hack and add.

It's easy. I've already made a stock shifter into a reverse manual shifter. One one of my personal cars I'm running a shiftronic out of a hyundai. Once you understand how the TCU works you can pretty much make that trans do anything you want. The best part is it's already all set up for you, all you gotta do is hack and add.

Ok you cant say that and not explain more with pictures

Ok you cant say that and not explain more with pictures

I'm in Houston right now tuning some cars, when I get back home in Va I'll post some pics of my shifter setup, I really don't have any pics of anything else.. As far as the electronics there's really nothing to see though, it's really just a cluster of wires and electronic parts.

I'm in Houston right now tuning some cars, when I get back home in Va I'll post some pics of my shifter setup, I really don't have any pics of anything else.. As far as the electronics there's really nothing to see though, it's really just a cluster of wires and electronic parts.

What is exactly involved in making the car shift like a manual valve body? because i have a b&m megashifter laying around that i could use for a shifter.

What is exactly involved in making the car shift like a manual valve body? because i have a b&m megashifter laying around that i could use for a shifter.

Just a little bit of wiring. when you want it switchable is when it gets complicated.

I could probably make a nice box that will switch between full manual control, and automatic control pretty easily, to sell to you guys if need be. However, before i put forth the effort to make a pretty proffesional looking product to sell, how much interest is there really in a box like this, and are you all willing to pay a reasonable price for it?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back