The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Project Dsm-97 GSX

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks bigbird, I did consider it when I was first swapping the interior there, just a little to worn for my taste.
I may try to find a black set down the road but these will have to do for now. My main concern is to get this thing on the road ASAP now!
On a side note I pulled the trans yesterday to find a 2600 act pressure plate and street disc. I don't know to much about wear on clutches but it looks like I might be able to use the pressure plate again. There is a couple heat spots though...

Last edited:
Update, got the motor in and on the stand. It looked a little rough from sitting so I cleaned up everything the best I could. Painted the block with high temp low gloss black, painted the trans silver. Both of them where filthy! I have all the timing side done, with new components.

-Oem water pump
-Tensioner
-Idler & Tensioner Pullies
-Gates Timing belt
-BS delete
-New OEM crank Pulley
-New oil filter housing with the oil relief port mod. "Thats what I was working on tonight."
-Waiting on the B&M oil cooler to come in atm.

I'm just waiting to bolt up the oil filter housing to finish the timing covers. Then on to the alternator and powersteering. For those that missed this motor has,

Internals
-6 bolt Rods reconditioned
-2g Pistons
-Arps
-1g head "all stock for now"

Machine Work
-Hot tanked parts
-Magnafluxed block
-Bore block .020
-Check line bore
-Check block for warp-mill
=Recondition 4 rods
-Remove and replace 4 pistons
-Polish Crank
-Magnaflux head
-Check warp-mill head.003

I'm really looking forward to pushing this combination to its limit with and without the stock head "building it eventually". For now this turbo is good but an hx40 is in the near future! Just not sure how I will get it to work with the turbonetics mani:hmm:

Anyway here's some pics of recent progress, hopefully I will have some of the motor bolted to the trans this weekend.
The turbo is a Garrett GT-3271 Nothing to crazy but I'm hoping it will pack a good punch in those upper rpms ranges vs say a 16g. I'm shooting for 400-450hp and this turbo is rated max at 420:ohdamn: A little out of the efficency range but I hope it will be decent @ say 400.

img1734nv.jpg
img1735i.jpg
img1740d.jpg
img1744qz.jpg
img1741l.jpg

Last edited:
Damn I'm jelly dude. I believe I was one of the first people to contact the guy about this car. I offered him $2500 for it and he didn't accept it. Don't know why he lowered the price $200 for you. You must have that speech level at 100. LOL
Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be. I'll keep looking. Suscribed

Just letting you know your tial is mounted backwards.

Build looks good. Look forward to more updates

Good eye and good looking out LOL.

Damn I'm jelly dude. I believe I was one of the first people to contact the guy about this car. I offered him $2500 for it and he didn't accept it. Don't know why he lowered the price $200 for you. You must have that speech level at 100. LOL
Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be. I'll keep looking. Suscribed
Hum.. Not sure it was the same guy but I went in person so maybe that helped, do you remember his name? He said someone offered him 1500 and he said no. I offered 2k he said 2,5 we met in the middle:).
Keep looking bro you will find one! I would make a wtb add on Craigslist if your ready.

More progress, Almost ready to go in! I'm installing the clutch fork, pivot ball and TOB tomorrow. Then I'll be bolting up the trans when the motor is completely ready to drop in. I still have a few tweaks to do in order to get everything right. More coming soon!
dsc03398v.jpg
dsc03383y.jpg
dsc03385u.jpg
dsc03387qc.jpg
dsc03388y.jpg
dsc03390hx.jpg

Last edited:
The engine bay is getting prepped, soon it will be black and have a motor and trans back in it!:)

I've been putting a lot of thought into methanol injection. I was looking into the devils own and snow performance kits. Any feedback would be great! I know it's going to be tough fighting high iat's pretty much year round here in fl... I think to hit my 400 hp goal on pump with this turbo I will have no choice.

Quick update, Still working on the engine bay. Went ahead and wrapped my exhaust mani, I think it came out pretty good.

img1786rt.jpg
I had to work on the turbine aswell because whoever welded the flapper shut before didn't realize it had to be flush. Plus my 02 housing bolts did line up so I had to get that fixed aswell. If you look above in the previous pics you can see how much the flapper weld stuck out.
img1777qk.jpg
I forgot to add this before with the motor pics but this is the oil relief port job, I took a little more out after this pic but I'm hoping this will help with high oil pressure do to the BS delete.
img1752qt.jpg

Last edited:
Little polishing on the turbo, still have more to do with it. I decided to go all out on the engine bay. I'm waiting on paint so it will be a couple weeks until the next update.
img1799m.jpg

Last edited:
If no one else has mentioned it, and if you haven't already noticed, your engine mount from your Jan 31st pics is on upside down. Unless that was done on purpose disregard this ;)

Looks good otherwise. :thumb: Got anymore shots of the polished turbo? I like how it looks.

If no one else has mentioned it, and if you haven't already noticed, your engine mount from your Jan 31st pics is on upside down. Unless that was done on purpose disregard this ;)

Looks good otherwise. :thumb: Got anymore shots of the polished turbo? I like how it looks.

That's just sitting on there but i didn't notice that, I will flip it around when I torque it, thanks! Ill have some more turbo pics this week once its fininished and mounted on the manifold. :hellyeah:

I'm still waiting on paint for the engine bay but I'm hoping it will be worth the wait!

I've been keeping busy though, I'm working on stripping down a valve cover and polishing it to go with the turbo. Here some quick shots I got with my phone.
photo2clx.jpg
polishturbopart1.JPG

Last edited:
I started preping the engine bay for primer this weekend. Here's a couple pics of the progress so far, next is primer and some bondo and more sanding, then comes the fun part! More to come soon...
img1881gt.jpg
img1891n.jpg

Last edited:
Some more progress over the last couple weeks.
img1885av.jpg
img1903i.jpg
img1905pe.jpg
img1912im.jpg

Last edited:
Cars already looking amazing, the pictures don't really do the paint justice. It looks way nicer in person then the picture quality can capture. I can't wait to see it all the way done!:thumb:

Thanks! It's called ghost chrome, sprayed over a black base coat. It's not done though more to come soon with better pics!!

Appreciate the comments, thanks! I'm hoping to finish up the bay this weekend, I'll post more pics as soon as I can!

Alright guys I'm back after almost 3 years LOL. Life got in the way, I was able to hold onto everything! Not giving up on this build finishing up where I left off, finalizing a few things before I drop the motor in. I will be updating this build with the progress.

JBzG4a.jpg
Motor just about ready to be dropped in, bolted up the t25, stock manifold and o2 for break in.
Just adding some new hoses, had to order some new injector o-rings and insulators from sitting for so long. New Flywheel bolt, thermostat, shifter bushings and the ss clutch line that runs from the master to the slave.
TvGm3C.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back