The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Power Steering relocation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone checked if any of the 2000+ lancer/evo power steering pump bracket can be mounted to the 1G/2G? They are all in the same location you are attempting once you turn the motor around and I think the Saturn guys like to use the evo pumps.

Wait, are you suggesting people build up Saturns?

I would route the belt over the wp/PS/alt then the tensioner back around the harmonic balancer. That way there's more belt contacting the alt.

Here its is finished before power coating!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Good, now install the engine and see if it slings the belt off when you rev it up. I really hope it works well though and you do a great write up on it cause I think several of us are interested in this, it would be very nice to get the alt and PS on the back vs the front, for cosmetic and fitment reasons as well as weight distribution.

*EDIT* What about the mount for the carrier bearing that's on the front right half shaft/intermediate shaft? Or do 2g's not use one there?

The jays racing bracket is made to work with that and i just copied it so it should work with the mount for the carrier bearing. And thats not my motor that's going i n the car. Thats just a motor that i have laying around im paint my engine bay tonight and then install the motor tomorrow or the next day! And I plan on doing a write up after I make sure it works! LOL :hellyeah:

wow this is amazing, I have a friend trying to do the ac bracket mock up to change it into a alt. bracket so it can be relocated but this looks way more affective. the cleanilness of my engine bay isn't much of an importance to me. but freeing up space for a larger turbo would be nice. not sure the ps pump will ne an issue to me there though.

any updates on this.....Very interested in how this turned out

ripperx said:
*EDIT* What about the mount for the carrier bearing that's on the front right half shaft/intermediate shaft? Or do 2g's not use one there?

True that. I just got done bolting down the drivers side axle yesterday and yes it looks like this power steering / alternator relocation takes away AC AND is only meant for RWD DSMs LOL

Drifting!

If you want to keep AC (I do because Austin, Texas had 100+ days of 100 degrees F last summer) but you still want to move/eliminate the power steering pump then check out the posts on the electric power steering pump.

I recently just relocated my power steering pump to the backside of the motor with no problems (due to clearance issues with wastegate). Of course, I've not relocated my alternator due to not needing to. I fabbed up a mounting bracket, which I bolted the original mounting bracket to, just to keep the ability to adjust the belt tension. The belt is a bit longer, 34 inches, but still sits around the water pump pulley. It's now upside down, but I haven't any leaks and it works as well as before. I'd post pics but can't figure out how as I don't have a computer to resize them with.....just my phone.[DOUBLEPOST=1409156671][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a picture but it's not the best. Changed my camera settings to take this. I do have pics of the bracket and mock up on a spare motor, but much higher resolution.

Last edited:
I recently just relocated my power steering pump to the backside of the motor with no problems (due to clearance issues with wastegate). Of course, I've not relocated my alternator due to not needing to. I fabbed up a mounting bracket, which I bolted the original mounting bracket to, just to keep the ability to adjust the belt tension. The belt is a bit longer, 34 inches, but still sits around the water pump pulley. It's now upside down, but I haven't any leaks and it works as well as before. I'd post pics but can't figure out how as I don't have a computer to resize them with.....just my phone.[DOUBLEPOST=1409156671][/DOUBLEPOST]Here's a picture but it's not the best. Changed my camera settings to take this. I do have pics of the bracket and mock up on a spare motor, but much higher resolution.
Interested in this do you have the pictures of the bracket?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back