The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Power Steering relocation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone'S GSX96

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 4, 2008
Decatur, Illinois
I'm working on relocating my power steering pump. Just for looks. There is no good reason, Besides I want to clean up the front of my motor.

Here is what I have a so far.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I will be adding a idler pulley.

Will post pics as I go.

Definitely good reasons: Better weight distribution, and a bracket that actually holds the pump in alignment, unlike the stock 2g crap. Shorter lines to and from the rack.

I love it!

Too bad it's not for a 6bolt in a 1g, i'd ask for more details. Good idea, though what about placing it BELOW the alternator so there is no longer the possibility of it a leak dripping down onto the alt? (just an idea not sure if packaging allows this with much practicality)

I would rebuild the PS pump before installing. Then There's a lot less worry about fluid leaking down. I didn't think there would be enough room for both on the back.

Definitely good reasons: Better weight distribution, and a bracket that actually holds the pump in alignment, unlike the stock 2g crap. Shorter lines to and from the rack.

I totally agree with the alignment. Never had a issue but im sure its never straight.

that looks good, again the worry would be fluid dripping down on to the alt maybe make a shield so it won't drop directly on it? i would make it out of aluminum but just my 2cents

Never thought about the fluid leaking down on to it. Going to add a shield now that you guys said something. Thanks and this is mocked up on a 6bolt!!! I'm sure it could be put under the alt but I the alt relocation kit so I didnt want to waste all my money that I spent on that LOL. Only using one piece as it is!

Sort of looks like the P/S pump is now in the same general location as the factory A/C compressor. (from memory, it's been years) Curious if this is true, if any of the compressor brackets could be used.

BTW, how are you planning on adjusting the P/S pump? It looks like everything is solid.

I think he plans on adjusting it with a slide-able idler pulley.

I'm in for seeing how you do it, I'm about to do something similar. My setup doesn't have room for it in the stock location and being a drift car, I'd really like to have it.

It is solid I'm making a slotted adjustment bar from the power steering pump to the alternator. And the a/c compressor was were the alt is now. The a/c tension-er is were the power steering pump is now!

Freshen up the pump and put new O rings on the high pressure outlet and you won't have to worry about fluid leaks.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know what the hydraulic pump on the end of the cam does?

I started to do this 2 years ago then asked someone to fabricate it for me and he said he would and he started it.....................almost 2 years later still don't have an update
Props to you for taking it upon yourself to do this.

Last edited:
My guess is that the WRC guys mounted the power steering pump where the cam sensor normally goes. Reservoir might be the cap beside the coolant filler.

I want this cam driven power steering pump. I did a bit of googling and found nothing about it. Anyone out there have more?

I've never really cared for all those accessories piled up in the driver side front corner. Kiggly makes a 6bolt crank angle sensor, that would solve that issue for non-7bolt setups. The car in the pic seems to be an EVO3+ meaning, 7bolt.

Must know more...

Last edited:
I have been working on it today and here is what I got done!

This pick is how I'm mounting the idler pulley. I took the bolt out of the timing belt idler pulley and drilled the hole out and put a stud threw it. I had to order a 3' piece of all thread and cut it to 4" 1/2".

This is a junk timing cover but I will have to drill a hole in my timing cover for the stud.

I made a spacer to align the pulley.

This is it mocked up. It has to short of a belt. Longer belt will be here tomorrow and then I can make the tension-er bracket from the power steering pump to the alt.

Nice job!

Holy hell is that 20 stacked washers for the alternator mount? :p

I think this mod is pretty cool in that if the waterpump belt breaks, you would know ASAP since the belt also drives power steering

Flipside, and I'm by no means a designer but do you think the belt grips the alternator enough? Would this make the alternator slip?

No its not washers. I coped the the jays racing bracket. Its not as pretty but its just as strong. Its a 1"bolt cut off and mine is longer so I dont have to use the spacer!

And as far as the tension goes I'm making adjustable bracket to go from the alt to the power steering pump to adjust the alt for the belt tension!

Looks great so far. I would love to do the same one day. My only concern is the limited contact the belt has with the alternator pulley. Everyone knows how much trouble our cars seem to have with belt tension and squealing. Cant want to see how this performs once the engine is back in the car.

Has anyone checked if any of the 2000+ lancer/evo power steering pump bracket can be mounted to the 1G/2G? They are all in the same location you are attempting once you turn the motor around and I think the Saturn guys like to use the evo pumps.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back