The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Power steering fluid surges out of the reservoir when car is powered off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Nauman

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2021
Newberg, Oregon
So I have a 1997 gst, and when the engine was finally running I noticed a puddle under the car which I figured out was power steering fluid. I have a slight leak from near the firewall next to the steering column. When I turn off the car a bunch of fluid surges out from under the reservoir cap and all over the ground. The pump makes the weird rattling noises too but that would probably be when it gets low. I have been re filling it when I have needed to take it places and that fixes the noise, but when its empty it starts up again. Any suggestions on the leak at the reservoir?

Your best bet is to clean your lines with a degreaser and have someone else start the car to pinpoint where it is leaking. From what your saying you make it seem like its also leaking from the reservoir? If thats the case check your cap out.

and when the engine was finally running
Ok so does this imply you had just finished doing something to the engine? Did you have to drain/disconnect the power steering lines at all prior to this?
I have been re filling it when I have needed to take it places and that fixes the noise, but when its empty it starts up again.

This happens because you have a leak where air is getting sucked in from and getting to your pump.
I have a slight leak from near the firewall next to the steering column
This is the leak you need to address. Possibly a loose high pressure fitting or cracked/torn line.

When I turn off the car a bunch of fluid surges out from under the reservoir cap
Again, this happens when air is getting sucked into the system since it forms a vacuum and it sucks the air in, then it goes right up to the pump veins and it makes the pump noisy.

Your best bet is to clean your lines with a degreaser and have someone else start the car to pinpoint where it is leaking. From what your saying you make it seem like its also leaking from the reservoir? If thats the case check your cap out.
Yea, I've found the leak. Its in the rack and pinion so I bought a new one. My thought would be its pulling air into the lines through the leak and causing the surge of fluid out of the cap.

Ok so does this imply you had just finished doing something to the engine? Did you have to drain/disconnect the power steering lines at all prior to this?

This happens because you have a leak where air is getting sucked in from and getting to your pump.

This is the leak you need to address. Possibly a loose high pressure fitting or cracked/torn line.

Again, this happens when air is getting sucked into the system since it forms a vacuum and it sucks the air in, then it goes right up to the pump veins and it makes the pump noisy.
I have finally gotten a running engine into the car after probably 2 years of sitting. I bought the car a year ago and I'm pretty sure it had been sitting before I bought it for a while. So when it was finally running I think it showed all the issues with other parts including this. No, at the leak points I didn't have to disconnect anything. I found the leak to be from some of the hard lines on the rack and pinion assembly. I bought a new unit and hopefully will be putting it in this weekend. From what I had seen from others that was the issue. I checked all the lines for leaks and couldn't find any others except on the rack and pinion assembly. And thanks for the tip on the noise. I thought that it was caused by low fluid levels, so when the leak is fixed I would assume it will fix the noise too. Thanks for your help!

Yea, I've found the leak. Its in the rack and pinion so I bought a new one. My thought would be its pulling air into the lines through the leak and causing the surge of fluid out of the cap.
Thats crazy man I just got done changing a rack and pinion on a 2005 Jeep Liberty hard job on that car. Let me know how difficult it is on a DSM.

Thats crazy man I just got done changing a rack and pinion on a 2005 Jeep Liberty hard job on that car. Let me know how difficult it is on a DSM.
Yea, it was quite the job. It took around 5 to 6 hours but it went in smoothly and fixed all the issues. I did need an alignment after because I couldn't get it quite right. Theres just a few frame pieces underneath that need to be removed and then you mostly have access. Theres a bolt where the steering column goes into the rack and pinion that needs to be removed. Then you can get to the 2 bolts holding the hard lines in from under the car. Those are behind the motor but you can reach from under the car if you have it jacked up enough. It's easier than doing it from the top. I believe it's a size 17 wrench. The shorter the better for an easier time. Those are the send and return lines for the fluid. When you remove the bolts holding rack and pinion in it helps to take the downpipe so you can maneuver it out of the car. This whole process is much easier with 2 people as well. These are kind of just the main steps and stuff I learned in the process. Hope this helps and good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back