The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Possible jump timing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys, so just curious, my car is NOT at TDC here. I have not had time to do a test, i just noticed it after i got out of the car today and was doing a little cleaning.

I mean, i no its not at TDC but it looks like from where the two gears are currently sitting, it wont be at 9 and 3 oclock. Or does it matter that much to be at TDC.

What do you think?

Attachments

• gear.jpg
    gear.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 121
The car is past tdc. The mark that lines up with the intake cam mark, is behind the lower cover in the picture on the exhaust gear. There is no way to check timing other than at tdc. Anything else is speculation.

^ Alright, thanks man. Like i said i just noticed it and i have not checked it yet. I am just now starting to "dig into" all the info on the head and block. Tomorrow i actually have some free time so i will be checking it out.

I am confident with my bolt ons and what not, but the head is a WHOLE NEW WORLD haha.

Thanks man.

The car is past tdc. The mark that lines up with the intake cam mark, is behind the lower cover in the picture on the exhaust gear. There is no way to check timing other than at tdc. Anything else is speculation.

Agreed. Just to be safe, turn your engine over by hand until its at TDC; if you feel any crazy resistance, just stop so you don't have any interference issues. It should get harder to turn at some points, as you're compressing the air in the cylinders. However, if you experience anything really hard to turn by hand, just stop.

Turn it to TDC and make sure all 4 marks line up. You can use a straightedge or even a bent coat hanger if you're struggling to see. Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back