The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Please prove me wrong if possible.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EagleTalonTim

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2007
Brighton, Tennessee
Me and a friend have been discussing the inter cooler "allowable leak rate". He has stated that a IC can leak up to 15% air and still be efficient. I have explained about boost leaks and MAF compensation blah blah blah....but he stands by his word. Can an IC leak at all even if it is a extremely small pinhole and still be efficient?

Added : He also stated that all IC's will leak under pressure because of the expansion of the aluminum.

Last edited by a moderator:
An intercooler should not leak AT ALL.

Efficiency is determine by pressure drop and air temp.

Can a pinhole leak stilll have great efficiency, absolutely.

Nothing with a 15% leak is going to be efficient IMO. I'm sure you'd see a huge pressure drop with a 15% leak. You're making the turbo work 15% harder to supply the same charge to the engine, so the turbo system as a whole would be highly inefficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add onto Matts comment. By making the turbo work harder, you are heating up the air more which means the IC has to be able to cool that much more heated air making it less efficient.

The IC should not leak at all and most are pressure tested to at least 50psi leak free. No permeation should occur through the material.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back