The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Piston ring question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
Pulled my head on my 6 bolt to do a head gasket. I don't see any signs or having bad or burnt piston rings. Nor did I have any prior to tearing it down, but is there a way to test them. I mean can I poor a little oil in each cylinder and see how fast it flows past them?

Just for peace of mind

Thank yall!

It won't really do anything for you. There will be some leakage but if its obvious then you would have shown oil consumption issues before. And you won't know what amount is acceptable.

Last edited:
This is just a personal opinion, but if the head is off and you're iffy about rings I would just go that extra step or few and put in new rings. You can check all the spec on old rings when they are out and if good can keep as spares or re-use, whatever. For all the messing around and time involved with testing and clean up while in the block you can replace them. And at the same time you can inspect other components,connecting rods, oil bearings, crank, give a hone. your already half way there. Good luck man

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back