1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Piston ring question

Posted by bcjjones, Sep 27, 2013

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. bcjjones

bcjjones Proven Member

Joined Nov 3, 2011
    Austin, Texas
    Pulled my head on my 6 bolt to do a head gasket. I don't see any signs or having bad or burnt piston rings. Nor did I have any prior to tearing it down, but is there a way to test them. I mean can I poor a little oil in each cylinder and see how fast it flows past them?

Just for peace of mind

Thank yall!

2. shakeandbake

shakeandbake Proven Member

Joined Aug 9, 2012
    Flourtown, Pennsylvania
    It won't really do anything for you. There will be some leakage but if its obvious then you would have shown oil consumption issues before. And you won't know what amount is acceptable.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  3. BogusSVO

BogusSVO Proven Member

Joined Jul 1, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
  4. drewbuddy

drewbuddy Proven Member

Joined Jun 19, 2011
    edmonton, AB, Canada
    This is just a personal opinion, but if the head is off and you're iffy about rings I would just go that extra step or few and put in new rings. You can check all the spec on old rings when they are out and if good can keep as spares or re-use, whatever. For all the messing around and time involved with testing and clean up while in the block you can replace them. And at the same time you can inspect other components,connecting rods, oil bearings, crank, give a hone. your already half way there. Good luck man

Street Build 792  0

1991 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
    manual · 1G DSM
  5. iugrad92turbo

iugrad92turbo Supporting Member

Joined May 22, 2007
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Don't chance it replace everything in doubt or youll be doing when you say well I guess that's ok until your stranded.

8K  5

1992 Eagle Talon TSi
    awd · manual · 1G DSM