The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Picked up a new project!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTUDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2005
Morrisville, Pennsylvania
Ok i got a new winter project for myself as an early Christmas gift LOL LOL))

The things im going to do with it is a complete restoration close to near stock look.
I already took both front and rear subframes out for clean the rusty surface ,epoxy paint and will replace old bushings to the aluminum ones or poly,didn't decide yet.
After that, will be my interior .
Is there anything in the market to cover the entire interior to prevent loud exhaust and some other loud noises? Lets say something like Dynamate. Any suggestions???.
As im getting older i want to ride a more comfortable car. Planing to have AC ,Power steering, and whole that good stuff,that i didn't had before for last 8 years LOL LOL))

Btw I picked up a 98 GSX.....

Look into fatmat or dynamat. I have never used it but just looked up what others use. I too have a 98 gsx! Got pics? I want to do a complete restore on my car too with all new parts and clean clean clean LOL. Maybe one day when I have a nice shop.

Look into fatmat or dynamat. I have never used it but just looked up what others use. I too have a 98 gsx! Got pics? I want to do a complete restore on my car too with all new parts and clean clean clean LOL. Maybe one day when I have a nice shop.

The car is to damn ugly for a pictures right now LOL

I have always found that most of your interior drone is from exhaust. You have a couple of options as far as quieting things down. Keep in mind there are 2 types of interior noise. Airborne noise (exhaust, motor, road noise) and harmonic noise. (metal panels vibrating, panel pieces ect ect).
Airborne noise: Dynamat, fatmat, Luxury liner, B-liner. carpet padding, peel and seal ect ect. now there are 2 types of pads, rubber byuterol and asphalt based padding. Both works depending on the application.

Harmonic noise: Mainly what you want to do with this is find some sticky CLD to put on the sheet metal of the car. now you dont have to cover the whole car in it or anything just put one on per panel and it will knock it out by weighting the panel down just a bit. You other option is spray in bedliner. there are many different kinds and its pretty easy to do.

Now i know cost tends to be the issue for DSMers. (at least it was for me) so after a lot of research into this i decided to go with a combination.

For harmonic noise i went with U-pol Raptor spray on liner 100 bucks for 4 cans. very easy to blow into the spots in the doors. Did the floor, trunk doors and up by the firewall. After that Premium carpet padding under the car carpet. Then 50sq/ft of Fatmats Rattle Trap on the rest of the car panels, doors, roof, quarter panels and trunk. Then its just go through the panels and fix any squeaks with some silicone calking. All said and done i added about 20 pounds to it, then took out my AC compressor and lost the 20 pounds LOL. Going down the hwy at 80 mph and the car is as quiet as my Escalade.

I have always found that most of your interior drone is from exhaust. You have a couple of options as far as quieting things down. Keep in mind there are 2 types of interior noise. Airborne noise (exhaust, motor, road noise) and harmonic noise. (metal panels vibrating, panel pieces ect ect).
Airborne noise: Dynamat, fatmat, Luxury liner, B-liner. carpet padding, peel and seal ect ect. now there are 2 types of pads, rubber byuterol and asphalt based padding. Both works depending on the application.

Harmonic noise: Mainly what you want to do with this is find some sticky CLD to put on the sheet metal of the car. now you dont have to cover the whole car in it or anything just put one on per panel and it will knock it out by weighting the panel down just a bit. You other option is spray in bedliner. there are many different kinds and its pretty easy to do.

Now i know cost tends to be the issue for DSMers. (at least it was for me) so after a lot of research into this i decided to go with a combination.

For harmonic noise i went with U-pol Raptor spray on liner 100 bucks for 4 cans. very easy to blow into the spots in the doors. Did the floor, trunk doors and up by the firewall. After that Premium carpet padding under the car carpet. Then 50sq/ft of Fatmats Rattle Trap on the rest of the car panels, doors, roof, quarter panels and trunk. Then its just go through the panels and fix any squeaks with some silicone calking. All said and done i added about 20 pounds to it, then took out my AC compressor and lost the 20 pounds LOL. Going down the hwy at 80 mph and the car is as quiet as my Escalade.

that's exactly what i want to do "make a dsm ride as a luxury car" :p
Ill deff look in your idea... if someone won't come up with something else..

Ok,I gutted the entire car to the metal. I painted the engine bay (black) to refresh the color. Im still trying to find out of what materials should i use to make the car quiet from the road,engine,exhaust noises..... While im working at the engine bay i want to put something on the firewall. Since it has a fresh paint and washed firewall pad ready to go. So im looking to get something to keep the engine noise away.... Dynamat or fat-mat won't wotk ,because its made for an audio not to come outside the car... My question is :
Does anyone can point me to the material,that i could use on a firewall to prevent the engine noise???

Not to make a new thread , i got another thing,that came up to my head. As im trying to make my ds,m more luxury, by eliminating most of the road,exhaust noises,getting rid of the vibrations. I took off the firewall padding,cleaned everything with warm water/dishsoap. Glued "FatMat"inside the firewall. What would be better to put on?:
Same old/washed firewall padding or
Accoustic sound blocker??

Last edited:
Ok i got a new winter project for myself as an early Christmas gift LOL LOL))

The things im going to do with it is a complete restoration close to near stock look.
I already took both front and rear subframes out for clean the rusty surface ,epoxy paint and will replace old bushings to the aluminum ones or poly,didn't decide yet.
After that, will be my interior .
Is there anything in the market to cover the entire interior to prevent loud exhaust and some other loud noises? Lets say something like Dynamate. Any suggestions???.
As im getting older i want to ride a more comfortable car. Planing to have AC ,Power steering, and whole that good stuff,that i didn't had before for last 8 years LOL LOL))

Btw I picked up a 98 GSX.....

I like that RESTORATION word man. Too many dsm are f**k up and beaten to death. Too much ambitions of going 9 sec quarter mile.

These car are meant to be driven daily and just enjoy at a moderate level. These cars are not meant to just sit in a back yard somewhere or in pieces.

don't have a current condition of a car pictures,but this is how it looked right before i start cleaning interior.....

Ill shoot some more pictures when ill go to work on it,because the car is at my parents house ,and i have really limited time to work on it,(once a week-Sundays) :(((

Attachments

• CSC_07281.jpg
    CSC_07281.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_09631.jpg
    DSC_09631.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_09621.jpg
    DSC_09621.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 64
Black 2gb looking good from the rear! I would love to fully restore mine, like dropping everything on the underside but I enjoy driving it more then it being on stands :p Good luck with it, and more pics :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back